70-270 Basic/dynamic disks

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by salv236, Jun 24, 2010.

1. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

Hello,

Ive been learning about these disk architectures, i just have a small question.

In dynamic disks if yoyu implement spanned or striped volumes can you use disks from another computer?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Best Regards

Salv236

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSE XP/2K3
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You can physically put another disk in to the machine, then convert it to dynamic and add it to the raid array, but you will lose access to the data (not sure if you can use a data recovery tool as never tried in this scenario, but i think it will be unlikely) already on the drive.

You cant however add a drive that is still physically in another machine via a logical method as for a start disk management only scans local drives (which is what i think your asking here?).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

Hi Kevicho,

Thanks for your reply, what i was trying to explain was lets say there is a scenario in a volume that is running out of capacity. There is additional storage on another machine with a dynamic, would i be able to remote and extend the volume from another computer?

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSE XP/2K3
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

no, its not possible to extend a dynamic disk to another machine. The only option is to add the extra capacity by installing another disk.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10