70-270 and 70-290, overlap?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Sparky, May 11, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’m currently going through the ‘MeasureUp’ questions supplied with the MCP 70-270 press pack.

Many of the questions appear ‘network orientated’ such as configuring default domain policies and delegating in Active Directory. Has anyone found there is a slight overlap between the 70-270 and the 70-290 exams, it appears that way so far! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

there is a slight overlap. also in permissions, backup, and a few other things. probably in troubleshooting techniques too.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

There certainly was overlap in the W2K route too. I suppose the moral of the story is.. make sure you understand each topic really well before moving on to the next one, because it will certainly crop up again at some point further down the road.

Studying IT is like studying a can of worms, the more you delve into it the more you find that everything is entwined and inter-mingled. One thing can have an effect on many other things, it is the nature of the beast :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You really do need to know how XP interacts and works with Windows servers (2k & 2k3) to do well in this exam I feel.

It's no bad thing though, especially if you do intend to go on and do the 290 exam as well. If at all possible set some labs up with a 2k3 server and have a good play around with using XP as a client of that server.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yes they do overlap... i read a few chapters from the 290 book before i did 270. then when i did 290 i had to read a few chapters from everywhere! :dry microsoft.... :x wish they would stick to guidelines...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics