70-270 Advice to Pass

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by taipei, Nov 15, 2008.

1. taipei

taipei New Member

Hi members,

The 70-270 exam I took was mentally exhausting I failed.
    I have no previous work experience administering this system.

I do have it on my PC, and use it. Windows XP Pro

The questions were vague, lengthy, confusing, and the answers
    were confusing also at time.

I need a strategist to help me pass on my next attempt, I don't want to fail again
    and go into a failure cycle. I panicked on the exam, when I was running out of time,
    and went into a brain fog state and couldn't concentate, especially when the question
    went on and on and on .. I never took a microsoft certification exam, I know what to
    expect now, but still do not know the best way to approach the exam. I studied using
    Sybex, Ms Press book, Passport, and read hundreds of sample questions, and study guides.
    Any help would be appreciated, I could kick myself for ending up this way... thankyou, Ric

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

You stated:

I would recommend starting off with the MCDST (exams: 70-271 & 70-272), which is a alot more easier to understand than the 70-270, especially with no experience. I'm not saying that the MCDST will be a walk in the park, mind you...

Hope this helps :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. taipei

taipei New Member

Hi, I had studied for 6 months for the xp Pro exam 270, should I abandon the
    exam and study for the others you mentioned. I would feel as if I gave up,
    after putting in so much effort.

I do need help on questions and preparation, if you or someone else could
    guide me that would be great. appreciation would be extended, as I know your
    time is valuable. thankyou all. Ric

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'll answer you here rather than in your PM taipei. Ken's advice about considering the MCDST before the 70-270 is good advice. Particulary since the 70-271 is in essence an easier less in depth version of the 70-270.

Just having experience using XP Pro (from a users perspective) is not really going to prepare you for some of the tougher elements of the 270 exam. Particularly because it expects you to know how XP is used in both a workgroup and domain environment.

The 271 assumes much less knowledge of using XP in when joined to a domain and the questions generally don't go into as much depth as they do in the 270. For that reason I expect you would find it an easier exam to pass and find the questions a little less baffling.

If you did want to continue on with the 270 then I would recommend that you buy either the MS Press book or the Sybex book and work through the areas you feel that are your weakest. Also you should consider buying some type of exam simulation package, eg Transcender, Boson, MeasureUp ... In full on exam mode, these can be very useful (especially when you finish the exam) to show you your weak areas.

Finally, it would be a good idea to get some kind of virtual (or physical) lab setup to help practice examples from the afore mentioned books. Virtual PC 2007 is easy to setup and use and is also free. I hope some of that helps and GL with your next shot ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. taipei

taipei New Member

Hello

thankyou, I was hoping to achieve the title of MCP, will the 271 exam
    do this for me, there are so many exams, I want to achieve some of
    the more prestigious exam to use it for an IT position. I do not see the 271
    I am in u.s.. but, more imporant I want the title mcp. I put a lot of effort
    into the exam so far, I am not sure I want to abandon the pursuit, I came pretty
    close only 2 or 3 questions away I believe to win this certification.

I was hoping someone with experiece in the domain area could help me sort
    out some things for me. If you or someone else can guide me further that would
    be great, I see on my exam results that I am weak in several areas pertaining to networking,
    and other areas. Thanks again, Ric

6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Yes it will

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter how long you studied... you're going to find it difficult to pass 70-270, because you don't meet Microsoft's recommended experience level with administering XP Pro. Microsoft recommends that you have at least 6 months of experience administering XP Pro workstations in a domain environment before pursuing 70-270.

That doesn't mean you can't pass 70-270... but you'll find it very difficult to understand what you're studying because you've never worked with it. Certifications aren't designed to show an employer what you want to be doing... they're designed to show an employer what you've already got experience doing. For this reason, I'd recommend that you pursue 70-271 and 70-272, then come back to 70-270 after you've been administering XP Pro for a while. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!