: >

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I just started working my way through the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide yesterday. While studying the book today I found a cool shortcut for creating files. Normally I would just use "touch" to create a file that I need but isn't there. By using ": > filename" you can do exactly the same thing. It doesn't have the ability that "touch" has to just set timestamps or anything like that, but it's a pretty handy little shortcut for file creation. The same command can also be used to set an existing file's size to 0 bytes. It's a pretty handy little shortcut.

Speaking of the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide, it took me about 6 or 7 hours to print this monster out on my little home printer. It fills a 4" 3 D-ring binder to capacity. If I don't get good at bash scripting from working my way through this monster, I'll never learn it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good luck! :biggrin

3. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Hey freddie,

You would not have a link for that guide would you please??

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  4. ffreeloader

supa,

You can get it from tldp.org. They have a ton of Linux documentation there. The site is a veritable treasure trove of Linux knowledge.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks and good luck on the learning- no easy task!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. ffreeloader

It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. And, no, it's not going to be easy, but the part that's going to be hard for me is the memorization. There are so many switches, so many little things to memorize so that when you're writing a bash script you know what to use that it makes it difficult for me.

I pretty much understand the concepts involved. I just need to write scripts over and over again until I can commit all these little details to memory. That's the hard part for me. At my age I can learn concepts much easier than I can memorize. It wasn't always that way for me, but it is now.