64 bit build? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sofista, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Sofista

Sofista Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about building a 64 bit PC, I've read about how stable it's supposed to be with 64 bit Windows Xp and Vista accepting only signed drivers and vista kernel patch protection. In addition to that 4GB of ram on my laptop with Vista is fine, but if I want to play with virtual PC it's not very fast...

This is why I would like to know if any of you is using a 64 bit build, how stable is it and is there a lot of problems with finding drivers for the hardware?

Kind regards,

Robert

Certifications: A+, MCTS, MCITP, MCP,
    WIP: Network +, MCDST
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I use a 64bit build at home with VISTA, i've never really come across any major problems, occasionally I will be unable to use a really obscure bit of software for converting DIVX format into 3GP or something like that (You know the type! then little programs you desperately google for)

But the pros of 64bit in terms of performance outweigh the cons.

Unbelievable performance with Adobe Creative Suite 4 and various other programs of that degree, gaming wise, just the same performance maybe a bit better, system boot is a lot quicker.

I'm happy with it fully.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm happy with Vista 64bit both at work and at home. I've had no problems :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'll add to the happy with 64bit comments, been running 64bit Vista on 2 desktops at home and both are performing excellently. My machine will be performing even better once I retire the only remaining PATA HDD still in the thing :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Pretty much all the machines I have built have been 64 bit systems. I had problems finding drivers with Windows 64 (it may have been when I installed it), but I've had absolutely no problems with Vista 64. I like my 4GB of ram!

6. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

I have been running 64 bit Vista for some time now so that i can get the full amount of RAM that i have in my computer. I previously had 4GB and now 6GB in my new computer. I haven't noticed any major problems with the OS as a whole, but as westernkings said... just them couple of random "weird and wonderful" programs that have a couple of issues.

XP 64 bit on the other hand, i only ran that for a couple of weeks as i found it very flaky and unstable. Not sure if that was just me, but i scrapped that after only a couple of weeks.

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP