50 Jobs That Are Adding Workers

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mitzs, Feb 10, 2008.

1. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

For the most part with currency conversion, just swap the $ for the £ and the numbers aren't too different.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  2. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I emigrated some time ago from the UK. Where I live now has an incredibly high cost of living (£1.74 for a can of Heinz beans here for example) but is offset by very good wages (in most industries anyway) and tax free earnings and benefits.

The IT trade is a toughie to get in to here, if you have links in anything financial you're laughing. It's more complicated than that though, the visa/immigration system here can be very frustrating. Who am I kidding, it is frustrating! On the whole though IT pays well, only second really I'd say to anything financial.

Overall though it's all wrapped up when the clock strikes 5pm on a Friday and it's like being on your Summer holiday until Monday morning every weekend of the year.

Glad I moved! :cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes terrace and a Micra doesn't really cut it, no pool or plam trees either ! :biggrin

The figures you looked at are averages, the actual maxima and minima are either side logically, if you look at the histogram at the bottom you will see that your bracket goes from £30k to £110k, so top of your bracket is £110k. This means harpistic is not that far off with his conversion rate. Which means a potential very real 50% salary drop.

Sounds like we should all move to the cayman islands ! :biggrin

4. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Oi! Her!

Salaries look pretty depressing (and likely to become increasingly more so), I meant more in terms of cost of living and general shopping, eg laptops, clothes, most stuff really. Never actually lived there - I was planning to move there later this year, at least till the economy decided to take a nosedive - so that's more on hearsay and online browsing than anything else.

What's the job market like over there? :biggrin

5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Pretty tough when it comes to IT in all honesty. You could try going through a recruitment agency but 99.9% of them deal purely in finance positions.

To be honest I really lucked out with my job. You could try speccing companies out here, but most of the bigger ones draft in workers from their other locations across the globe.

Also, all employers on the island, no matter what trade they are in, HAVE to employee a certain percentage of Caymanians. So while they may advertise a position, it may well already be taken and they just have to advertise it due to a work permit condition that you HAVE to advertise in the local paper the job you are making vacant. The problem with this is that 99.9% of the jobs in the paper are advertised for just that reason, for jobs that are already taken, or have to be given to Caymanians so your application will not be considered anyway. It's pretty frustrating but IT work is out there I assure you!

It sounds cliche I guess, but IT really does play second fiddle to the obviously-ultraenourmous industry here that is finance. If you're an accountant, you'll likely start on around CI$50,000 plus bonuses. Likely have your apartment and car paid for too.

I think I'm in the wrong trade... :funfun

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

Cost of living in america can appear cheaper, but there are some things people forget about:

sales tax is added at the till, so you cant really compare shop prices
    healthcare has to be paid for through insurance
    no state pension or benefits available

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Even after sales tax, prices are generally lower. And to my knowledge, no state's sales tax exceeds 10%.

No, healthcare doesn't have to be paid for through insurance. You can choose to pay cash for any services you choose. But suffer a catastrophic injury, and you'll wish you had insurance!

State pension and benefits most certainly are available, particularly if you hold a government job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

Having to pay each time you need to see a doctor, could work out to be quite expensive.

How many people that migrate to america would be able to get a government job though?

I think the key if thinking about working abroad for a while is to live there as cheaply as possible, eg no point buying fancy furniture if your only there for a few years.

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  9. BosonMichael

Having to pay taxes to fund nationalized health care could (and would) work out to be quite expensive as well. I'd rather be in control of my own healthcare than have to pay for everyone elses irresponsible healthcare decisions. "Let's go to the doctor for this sniffle I've got... it's free!"

Do you want an exact numerical figure? :D

There are plenty of foreigners who work in government jobs. They'd have just as much chance as anyone else, I'd guess, with the exception of highly sensitive ones (of which there are relatively few).

Regardless, you can get a pension with many jobs... in the automotive industry, for example.

What you're not hearing is that the cost of living is less in America. Compare house prices, for example. I live in a VERY nice area, and I recently bought a 3200 square foot house with a 2100 sq. ft. basement for $275K. What can you afford there for around £140K? From what I've heard, you could get a shoe box... however, I'm going on hearsay, because I've never shopped for houses there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I would normally say the difference is in area; but you say the area you live in is VERY nice... in Britain at the moment, you very much pay for your postcode.

For example, I live in an increibly desirable village; it has excellent local amenities, and good connections to the local transport services for commuters. Because of that, my parent's house is quite expensive, despite being comparitively small against your palatial splat.

My sister lives in a flat in E1, in London. It's about 680 sq ft - and breaks the bank at £420K. And here are the kinds of houses you can get in Nashville for that price... over 6,000 sq feet and 7 acres of land, anyone? :eek:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. BosonMichael

For perspective with those land listings, I live in Williamson County. All of Williamson County is extremely nice... with a top-notch school system. But I'm on the edge of Williamson County (city: Spring Hill), about as far away from Nashville as I can possibly get, because that's all I can afford! Franklin is more expensive, and Brentwood, even more so (likely due to their proximity to Nashville).

So, anyway... if lower salaries in the US are a concern, that's because our houses (and other things) don't cost nearly as much.

Thanks, Arro! :) Just the person I was hoping would chime in with info!

12. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

My brother rents a two-storey apartment in Sausalito (San Francisco) literally overlooking the bay and backing onto woodland for equiv. £1100 a month - snowball's chance of finding something comparable at that price in London!