4 Servers into 1?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by garyb, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Enterprise is definitely 1+4.

I think Luke is suggesting running Windows Backup on the POSE to back up the VHD files for each of the 4 virtual instances.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

guys
    hyperV on standard does not ONLY allow 4VMs
    a standard license allows 1 host + 1 guest
    an enterprise license allows 1 host + 4 guests
    a datacenter licenses allows 1 cpu + unlimited hosts on that CPU (so you need two for a dual socket system)

thats not to say you cant apply windows licenses directly to the guest machines, or apply additional licenses to the host, your never going to get the consolidation ratio you can on Citrix or Xen, but the licensing isn't that complex here :)

so yeah, your not limited to the number of guests a single license provides you, you just need additional licenses (just like you need multiple licenses today, one per server!)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Yeah. Sorry ma bad here. I read it wrong. You can run as many VM's on a host (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter) as you want (limited by hardware). Licensing as per what Phoenix said.

This will work. Not perfect but I don't think you have a choice. We're too backing up to USB drives and we had that dillema few months ago. Ended up deploying physical backup box (DPM 2010).

As Josiahb said. Run Windows Backup on a host and back the VHD files (or if you want VM config files too)

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Thanks to everyone who has helped with advice, if I may just ask some final questions?

1 - Due to budget restrictions I am going to have to go with Dell PE T310 or T410 [8GB RAM, 500GB HDD], I will have 3 guest VMs on this, 2 with only occasional requests [Sage & BES] has anyone experience running these boxes. Its going to be office based so noise will be an issue, are they fairly quiet?

2 - I plan to use Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 installed on above bare metal server, it states this can be managed via GUI in Vista/Windows 7 64 bit. Has anyone come across an XP version to manage the Host machine?

3 - This will be running on 64bit server, potentially with simple Raid 1. Will I be able to migrate a physical server currently running RAID5 onto this as a guest VM? I would try before asking but haven't any 64bit servers here as yet, didn't want to buy then find out I've mad a mistake!

4 - I come across http://backupchain.com which looks just the ticket, anyone used it? The support chaps seem very good, well for questions I have raised so far anyway.

5 - Finally what the are pros/cons between ESXi & Hyper-V? I am using Windows based servers and need to backup to external USB drives, that's really my decision for going with Hyper-V?

Thank you again, has been most helpful.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    WIP: MCSA 2003