3rd Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pablo1888, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Hi All,

My question is about installing a third hard drive. What I want to know is what is the best way to go about it?

All I want at the moment is to make the three of them bootable, I am not interested in setting up a RAID. All the IDE connectors on my mobo are taken up. I know you can buy a PCI card that will enable me to do this but I am not sure which one to get? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Also do I set the 3rd drive to slave?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Any ideas???

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It sounds like what you want to do is install three IDE hard drives, install separate Operating Systems on each drive and be able to boot from each of them. Frankly, I didn't find any real information on the subject, at least not in a brief Google search. Typically, you use SCSI rather than IDE for multiple hard drive solutions which is why you don't see more than two IDE controllers on a motherboard.

You might want to consider using two HDDs and partition the second one for two partitions to hold two separated OSes. Just purchase a second drive large enough for your needs. If all you want to do is install and experiment with Operating Systems, the drive doesn't even have to be that big.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Thanks for the feedback Trip. I can't find a lot of info on it either.:(