30 years old, with no paid work experience. Am I being unrealistic about an IT career? (UK)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Hello123, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Hello123

Hello123 New Member

Hi,

As the title says, I'm 30 years old, with no paid work experience. In 2017 I received an MSc in environmental science, but less than month into my job search a close relative became seriously ill, and I ended up caring for them full-time rather than getting a job. Sadly, they passed away last month.

In my free time during this period, as well as volunteering as a mentor to environmental science students at a local university, I took a lot of online courses on Edx, Coursera, and Udemy, and discovered that what I'd really like to be doing professionally is IT (eventually networking). The thing is, now that I'm faced with the reality of being a 30 year old with no paid work experience, I'm concerned that I may just wasting my time pursuing some certifications and trying to get an entry-level position.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

JK2447 likes this.
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome to Certforums. You absolutely can have a career in IT. I have many friends who came from the Army, grenadiers and such that couldn’t of had less to do with computers. What a lot of people do is to get IT certified to make them more attractive for entry level positions.

While it’s just my opinion that your masters won’t come into play any time soon, it definitely shows that you’re a determined and intelligent person, and one day it could make the difference one day.

Actually come to think of it, I also have two friends who continued on to get their doctorates in Physics. This would have made them your age I’m sure.

Its great that you have an interest in networks. Check out CompTIAs entry level certs like A+ and N+. Certs won’t guarantee a job but they give you a framework to follow so that you build a solid foundation knowledge that you can build on to impress in an interview.

The last bit of advice I’d give is to not be scared to start at the bottom. You will have lots of fun and can progress very quickly in IT

good luck
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Morning,

So the age thing really resonates with me as I didn't start working in IT until I was 32. My only regret, I wish I had done it sooner.
    Id spent 13 Years working in the Games Industry as a QA Engineer / QA Manager and got made redundant.

I dont think Age is a factor. If you show you are passionate about IT, want to learn and improve your skillset, then I dont see an issue.

As Jim says, start with the CompTIA A+, Network+ and then see where it takes you.

CF is a fantastic forum, really helpful and plenty of knowledgable people around.

best of luck to you.

JK2447 likes this.
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im the same as Jaron, I came late to the IT game, I just made a decision to jump in as I was always curious and wanted a different career to the one I had and on the scope of it, it has turned out to be a really good decision. I thought age was a factor at first but if you show the willing and drive to a potential employer then you will get the foot in the door so to speak. You may not get a job first time, I think it took me a while to get my first IT helpdesk role, now I work at a big university who do look after their employees.

Just keep chipping away, if you can, get more voluntary work under your belt and it wont be too long before you get your rewards

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    JK2447 likes this.