3 Million hit by Windows worm

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 16, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well our IT dept have jumped on the bandwagon now, the thing is I have been telling or IT guys for months that some of our PCs need updating as the update icon is in a task bar on quite a few of the PCs in my department. All they keep saying to me is don't do anything it's not your responsability, but they haven't done anything.

I am going to take the piss good & proper if we get hit by this, like you say it's not hard or time consuming to have a test environment for patches especially since there are 3 IT guys for 1000 PCs.

It pisses me off how lax my IT dept is, a ****ing monkey could do a better job. There is one IT guy who really knows his stuff but he says he loathes computers and seems as if the other people in the department do too. It makes me think why things went well when I had my short stint in there, it must have been because I was the only one that really enjoyed it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

But you can remotely crash a Xserver using a XP machine and a USB stick without any malware :)

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. supernova

I agree.

I have been at a place where bespoke systems have stopped working after patch deployment.
    Also some industries eg US regulated drug companies in UK have to audit every piece of software and i don’t mean in terms of licence i mean in terms of security risk assessment. Last one I was at couldn’t use Linux because it was such a pain to audit this way and get clearance, even a retail distro.(Ironic that it was easier to pass windows.)

I also do not trust patches until i have tried them on a few machines or lab environment

Got a piece of software at the moment where i do some voluntary work, something on a up-to-date machine from windows update stops it from working I believe it stops the licensing code from reading the harddisk serial number properly. I thought it was something to do with .NET frameworks but would appear not to be the case (and not anti virus), so I need to go through every update on a clean install to find the culprit :cry: and the developer hasn’t got a clue, I am in fact thinking of writing my own verson myself and selling it.

4. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Theres a bit more scaremongering on the BBC website today regarding this issue:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7832652.stm

Apparently the full impact of what this virus could do hasnt been released by the virus code writers yet..............

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  5. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  6. supernova

Has anyone come across an infected machine yet

i haven’t nor has any of my net admin friends

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

some housing association place in carlisle got hit by it this week, apparently the whole system has been killed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290