3 Days Into New Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Toadeh, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Well, am 3 days into me new job as an analyst developer. So far, i've discovered, the company has no infrastructure and all they want to do is build some software to sell on (even though they provide debt collection services).

Not generally impressed with the place yet, think I have been spun a line in the interview tbh. Whats the shortest time you guys have spent in a new job?

Gonna stick it out, and talk to me manager but unless I see somit moving, there is little point in me stayin.

Cheers

Mat

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

At you're getting valuable experience so get some about a year if you can and then run. Best wishes as most places you'd work at has it's up's and down's so its all about experience gathering and paying the bills:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Yep... the experience is a good reason to stay. If you're 'managing' the software build, even better. It potentially gives another string to your bow, when it comes to adding to your CV.

If you do decide to leave, do you have another job you can walk into?

4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It goes against what I promote but 3-weeks is my shortest time with a company. It wasn't all bad, but the IT-Director didn't know what he wanted. Saw my experience and sold me the opportunity.

Wasn't all bad though - just not a fit for me. So once I saw what he really wanted & needed I told him of my decision and recruited the ideal candidate. The new guy loved it and I got brownie points for not leaving them in a mess. Lot's of brownie points :biggrin

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Experience is experience... and sometimes, getting experience in a bad company can actually be a GOOD thing. For example, you can see, firsthand, how NOT to do things. You can learn how to clean up and streamline processes. You can learn how to untangle bad code. There's all sorts of benefits to be gained.

When you just can't handle it anymore, make sure that you have another job lined up before you give notice. Being employed makes you more valuable, and gives you leverage in salary negotiations - an unemployed tech is a hungry tech... and employers know that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!