291 anyone

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by PAT, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The right questions are the ones you expected when you studied the topics for the exam. I have to admit on more than one occasion, checking that I was actually sitting the correct exam :eek: That is after studying the topics for ten months previously and doing well on various test prep software including Microsoft's so-called ready review (which is a joke) and Transcender.

You do need a bit of luck, because as Trip says, the questions are pulled from a pool. If you are unlucky, you could get a mixture of all of their more bizarre offerings :eek:

IMHO a good exam is one that tests your knowledge fairly and *if * you have put the groundwork into studying and you really know the topics inside and out then the questions should be ones you can answer correctly.

I have seen more than my fare share of bewildering Microsoft questions. Usually there are only a couple of those in each exam but it is possible to have a bad hand dished out.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I'm only still quite near the beginning of the book, just done supernetting which I didn't cover in the CCNA.

I hope they don't ask lots of those questions where there are several correct answers but the questions tells you to 'choose the best answer' I really hate those.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  3. PAT

PAT Banned

hi all

i have now booked this bad boy for the 11th, i hope it goes well

i will update you all

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck, Paddyboy. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good luck mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Nail it man. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Third attempt at 291 on Monday. Failed my second attempt a fortnight ago. Got 677!!! and I know where I went wrong.

For the info of anyone preparing for this one, there are 43 questions in the exam altogether. 40 Multi-choice and 3 simulations.

If you get the sim question about setting up a DHCP scope, be sure to notice that although the Network Id they give you is a Class A (10.10 etc), they thrown in a 24bit subnet mask to try and catch you out! I completely overlooked it and that's why I failed!

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

While the information is interesting, I have to remind you that you digitally signed a non-disclosure agreement stating that you would not disclose the specific contents of the test questions and answers. You might want to modify your post accordingly. If not, I or another staff member will do so.

EDIT: Good luck on the third go, mate. :wink:

9. PAT

PAT Banned

Failed :(

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hang tough, Paddyboy. Take some time to lick your wounds, then get back up on that horse and ride. :)

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Don't feel too down about it. Learn from your experiences.

You will surely by now know where you are lacking in your skills and should be able study up accordingly.

The Important thing is to not give up. It took me 4 times to pass the W2K equivallent (216) of this exam. After the third I was ready to give up but I gave it one last shot and passed.

Have yourself a few beers tonight and start afresh with the revision on Monday.

:)

12. PAT

PAT Banned

beer that what i need right now lol 8)

13. PAT

PAT Banned

my problem is DNS on this exam, im goin too spend a lot of time on this subject over the next week. i cannot give up on this one!

thank you 8)

14. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

good luck Paddyboy for next time.
    It's sounds like you have learnt a lot from your efforts so far.
    I've just booked my exam today for next month.
    I'm red hot on sub/supernetting, DNS and DHCP.
    IPSEC, Kerberos, and RAS policies need lots more work, did these come up a lot for you, so far ?

tnx.

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)
  15. PAT

PAT Banned

IPSEC and RAS were in the test but no Kerberos. It sounds like you goin in the right direction with your study gbhpboy, how did you learn to subnet im ok but there is room for improvement.

16. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

If you understand subnetting and can do it you just need to practice it a lot, like every day. There's a good website for subnetting practice here. After enough practice you'll be able to count up the powers of 2 and binary values pretty quickly.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  17. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

Couldn't agree with you more Pete, repitition is the mother of all skill.

The thing to realise any time you see an IP address is that it means nothing. It's only when you apply the subnet mask to it, that it mean something. So get into the habit of applying the subnet mask every time you see an IP address, at least when you're looking at questions.

I looked around at a few web sites, and saw the way Microsoft taught this stuff in their book, and just said no, this wasn't for me, they're making it far too complex, I don't want to use calculators have to remember too many formulas and start "anding" bits, arrrrgh.

So I sat down and developed a system that worked for me, it's not pretty, the purists would tell you there are quicker ways, but hell, it works for me. Long winded it is, but my small mind can remember too much theory, but the key thing is you have to practice with real examples, as Pete says.

I think the fact that I made my own way of doing these things makes me much more willing to do things my way. Even though I take longer, I worked out that the exam is 3 hours and I should be able to take a bit longer to do these IP calcs.

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)
  18. PAT

PAT Banned

3 hours is loads of time mate, Thank you :)

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

good luck! :oops:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  20. ravnil

ravnil Bit Poster

Very tough. Kind of a wild beast. failed twice

Certifications: MCP, A+, Net+
    WIP: SQL Server 2008