270 Book is massive!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by beaumontdvd, Feb 2, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone just received my 270 ms press book :) its massive lol! Cant wate to get into it though, just wondering if its a big unit? Also how long it should roughly take to read it. So I can break my time down. At the moment I have monday - sunday free to study. Also I recommend the 270 ms press book to anyone taking the exam as it comes with a trial version of xp pro 8).

Also do people normally loads up xp pro virtually and as they read the book try to do what your learning? Or do they just learn it?

Regards,

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's a whopper, but I don't think it's the biggest.

I seem to remember that 291 was practically a cube - same dimensions on all sides. Weird.

Can't read them while lying in the bath, and I'd advise against doing it while sitting on the toilet too.

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I remember thinking the same thing with the 270 - its alot of reading!

What I done was install the trial XP on a virtual machine and work through the book, doing the practices as the end of each lesson. It does take a while just to get through the book, but doing the practices really do help in my opinion, no matter how small they are, or how easy they seem.

It took me the best part of 3 months to do the 270, but then due to other commitments, I wasn't able to study every night or all weekend. See how long it takes you to plough threw the first chapter; you'll have a mucher better idea of timescales after that!

Best of luck. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. beaumontdvd

LOL! Not looking forward to the 291 then :(
    This book looks quite nice so im not sure if im going to write all over it like the others :rolleyes:
    I like starting a new book shows what a geek I am lol :twisted:

5. beaumontdvd

Yeah mate I'll give that a go. I guess its easier to remember once youve practiced it yourself. I think I'll study it 9-5 monday - friday untill I get an entry level job :biggrin. Thanks for your help mate, im sure its not to bad once your halfway 8)

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Noble sentiments mate, but your brain isn't going to co-operate with that.
    After the first couple of hours you'll be pulling the fluff out of the filter on the tumble dryer and wondering when you last cleaned out the gutters.

Try and break it up. Bit of reading, bit of online research, some hands-on, bit more reading and then machine gun someone in the face on Call of Duty.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. beaumontdvd

Yeah your right mate, I like to read a chapter and then go over it again slowly then doing the review questions on it. When I say 9-5 its more like 10 once ive gotup then till 2 with two more hours of COD and a lunchbreak LOL 8) even though the girlfriend hates cod :biggrin

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

it is exactly what I thought when I was studying for it. the mcdst was so much easier and looking back on it, should have done the desktop cert first!

good luck with your certs :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The 70-291 MS Press book is tiny in comparison but will melt your brain! :biggrin

The 70-270 MS Press book is an easy read and I would recommend that you have XP running in a virtual machine to get the hands-on that you need to break up the reading.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree beau - I'm looking at it at the moment and it seems a huge beast compared to the MCDST books.

You are definitely not alone on wanting to open a new book - I do all the time! :D
    I'm up to chapter 3 now, just installed RIS and deployed some images to progress well so far and my gf's away this weekend so a whole weekend to geek out! 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. beaumontdvd

Thanks, I'm slowly getting there :)
    Ive just set it up virtually so will have a play with that today when I'm studying. I guess its things like RIS and SMS that I cant practice as I dont have a server. Should I get one?

Regards,

12. beaumontdvd

LOL! I love it 8) How long has it taken you to get to chapter 3? I do like these MS press books though, everythings sorted out nicely and its a good read. A whole weekend to do what you want :D I havent had one in ages :cry: lol.

Hope your studies go well for you mate!

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! the MS press books from 70-270 onwards are huge in content and can be quite frightening. But it has to be done as nothing comes easy:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

So far about 2 weeks - but I have had a business trip to Brussels in that time also though.

I read a lession, practice it out (if I can, or there is something I feel I need to), and then make some notes about it, then move on. I'm trying to nail a chapter every 2 nights - so far thats fail due to interruptions!

I think the MS Press books are good as well - I've read about 10 or so chapters on the Sybex book and whilst there's content there, it doesn't have the same format as the MS ones do - which is a negative as well as a positive.

15. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Stop scaring us little folk :biggrin :eek:

16. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Hehe, not to put you off any future studies or anything, but if you're starting out on an MCSE, the MS Press books for the other topics get progressively larger. :ohmy