2600 router ARRRRRRRRRghhhh!!!!

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by gurusapprentice, Jun 24, 2009.

1. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

Hi now I realise your all going to say what a muppet lol. However I amtrying to learn cisco and as part of that have bought myself some bits and pieces including a 2600 xm router. Firstly I am using vista, secondly I am using the hyperterminal downloaded from hillgraeve. I can access the router I can give it a host name get it to switch between modes blah blah... But I can't set the BLOODY CLOCK pmsl. If I get into config I enter the command CLOCK ? it gives options like setting timezone so I put UTC (seems to be their version of GMT) then get asked <-23 -23> so If I type 0 improper command if I type anything improper command now I realise that setting up routers is all about learning commands etc but the commands like clock ? then set or date etc don't apear have tried write erase reload etc no matter what I do cannot get the time to set pmsl. If anyone can help before I go completely bald I would be grateful..

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

it all depends on the IOS version the router is running and not necessarily the router.

does this help

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6129454.html

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. gurusapprentice

Hi Zimbo aye it does but doesn't what I mean is I have been shall we say perusing the ccent stuff by Jeremy ciarao in it he configures the switch using the 12.1 version of the ISOand the router using the 12.3 version and says these are the latest versions etc the version mine has is 12.2 so I kinda thought that it shouldn't be what he classes as legacy. I am sure its going to be something simple or a setting these things usually are but have googled loads of stuff and can't seem to get a direct answer.

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

from what i gather on a router there will be the boot loader (which loads the IOS - hence one version number) and then the actual IOS ( another version number) are you sure you not confusing the two? Its the IOS that is important to us. Could you just elaborate on what you said i didnt quite get it... :oops:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

OK, I will give this a shot, even though my knowledge of Cisco Routers is ropey:

Router> show clock
    Router> conf term
    Router(config)# clock timezone GMT 0
    Router(config)# clock set 12:00:00 Jun 24 2009

Let us know how you get on

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. gurusapprentice

Sorry the IOS version is 12.2 r1 if that helps.