250GB SATA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Apr 27, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok I am thinking of getting one or two of these...(may aswell join the Phoenix bandwagon!) the thing is I already have two HDD one 80GB (partitioned into 40GB each) and one 40GB HDD. I want to know what I would need to do to get all the data from both the HDD onto the SATA. will I need to use the likes of Norton Ghost to do this? If so what exactly needs to be done and will I lose any data on the other drives in the process? The other two drives at Ultra66/100 ATA. So please explain to me what needs to be done and in what order and how I can erase the data on the old drives once the transfer has been complete. Thanks all in advance guys and gals...:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you mean just data, you could probably just load an OS on the new SATA drive and copy the files over from the old HDDs. If you want to copy an exact image of an old drive onto a new one, you'll probably have to use something like Ghost.

I assume you know that the connector for a SATA drive is completely different than an IDE drive and you'll need an adapter if your motherboard doesn't support SATA.

As far as completely erasing data from old HDDs, it depends on what you mean by "completely". You'd be surprised what you can get off an old Hard Drive if you really try. My favorite method is a 5 pound hammer. Apply with force repeatedly until all the platters are just shiny, aluminum shards. Then throw them in a very hot fire and let "roast" for about 8 hours. It will be pretty tough to recover data from them after that. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok Trip...I am not planning on totally killing the drives cos I will sell them on eventually, yes I want an exact image of the two drives I already have. and dont worry my mobo supports SATA and I have the cables already so everything is prepared just need the drive and off I go...but need more info as to what to do and what takes place and roughly how long it will take for the transfer...but if all else fails the 5 pound hammer sounds a good option...so you never know...

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

be cautious, your mobo may support SATA but windows may not support that device nativly
    during the initial install section of windows you get an option to press F6 to install disk/raid controllers, if you find windows is not detecting the disk and you cant continue setup, this is your problem and you need to have those drivers on a floppy to load at installation

if you have anything you consider sensitive on those disks, swallow the cost and destroy them yourself
    bar destruction theres not really a safe way to remove data from a hard disk

if theres nothing THAT sensitive, then a few wipes over with some random passes should work

as for copying the data, varies GREATLY depending on type of data, expect over an hour per 40GB partition
    you might get lucky, but its unlikely, it takes a good few hours for my 200GB drives to be migrated :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I see what your saying, I have no doubt XP will recognise the SATA cables plugged in and I have the drivers on the mobo CD so it shouldnt be a problem really...what I meant by deleting the data on the old drives was formatting them both after the transfer, is that ok to do that? cos then at least I know all the data has been erased and i can sell them on...

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

a format doesnt really erase the data, you would actually need to re write over the whole disk with random 1s and 0s
    and dont have too much faith in XP detecting your onboard SATA controller, unless its a brand new native SATA controller and not one of the original onboard bridged kinds (like are seen in most mobos over a year old (thats at design time not the time you bought it noel)) and a CD wont help you as you will need to load them via floppy for that step of setup, not via CD

good luck
    (check the controller is on the WHCL if in doubt)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks Ryan...looks like another long haul...but we'll see how I go...

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks Trip...still not sure about it yet after the info Ryan gave me...but I will keep it in mind...

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You might want to have a look at Evidence Eliminator as well Noel. But like Trip, I can't really vouch for it.

Man, I love the way most of your posts have that "slightly dodgy" feel to them :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Are you sure it's not *you* who is "slightly dodgy"? Could have been one "lemonade" too many. :biggrin :berrr

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think you hit the nail right on the head there Trip.:D (with a big 5 pound hammer)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685