2008 network infrastructure Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zebulebu, May 17, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I sat a training course last week for the 2K8 version of 'the beast' -6421A - Configuring and Troubleshooting a Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (way to go with those long-ass course titles M$)

The course was well presented (considering I hadn't sat an M$ course for about six years I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it all seems to be now - clear, concise, less rambling, exercises that work without you having to figure out where the typos are etc.)

Two observations:

Firstly I had much lulz at the IPv6 lab we did which required us to set up RRAS - half the people on the course (well, more than half - only me and one other dude didn't have the problem) had spontaneous reboots after enabling IPv6 & disabling IPv4 then pinging the machine on the opposite side of the router. First time I've seen even M$ achieve that - a BSOD on ping!

Secondly, IPv6 isn't as complicated as it looks - in fact, once you get used to working with it, it'll probably be as simple as IPv4. I might even knock up a test lab at home to familarise myself with it a bit more. Once you understand the concepts of link local and site local addresses, and can figure out how to set up tunnelling for coexistence most of it falls into place.

As for the rest I pretty much new most of the stuff anyway from home, but the NAP labs were interesting and, though flawed, I can see where people might use it instead of paying for some of the hideously overpriced NAP/NAC stuff out there (though you'd also need to already have - or plan on implementing - an IPSEC infrastructure to get the best out of it). One thing I hadn't looked at before was just how crap the 'new and improved' native backup software is. Way to ruin a perfectly good piece of software that I've been using for yonks in branch offices M$.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the info zeb.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Zeb, sounds like you enjoyed the training? I believe this might rekindle your interest in sitting for the Windows 2008 certs:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Seems to be the same with the exams as well. Most of the questions in the 70-649 were just a few lines rather than 10 pages about how you are a network admin for a small\medium sized company and one day you come into the office to find out that one of your servers managed by another network admin that works on a Saturday decided that it was a good idea to log onto the server when no-one was around and change <insert question here> .... ....on the Server 2003 exams :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs