2003 DNS problems

Discussion in 'Networks' started by garyb, Mar 20, 2007.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Thats very kind of you modey, appreciate your time. I recall when I first set this up, SP2 installed from automatic updates almost immediately, wonder of that could be causing an issue? I will attempt to remove tonight and see if makes any difference.:oops:

G

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Ahhhaaa!
    Finally managed to sort this out, appears it was 2003 SP2 which installed right after 2003 OS..

Basically removed the SP and dcdiag started to look much better although I was still receiving event log errors so decided to delete the virtual image and start afresh.

After OS install I disabled DHCP/NAT on VMWare, DCPROMO + DNS on server, then gave clients static IP on same subnet as DC, they were able to join the domain no problem.

Thanx to all who helped me with this, if nothing else I have learned more than books could teach me about DNS & VMWare troubleshooting, so on with courseware now..

Cheers

G:biggrin

Phoenix - I power down the VMWare host every day so need to disable DHCP/NAT each time I power back up. Are you aware of a way to save this setting?

3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted. You always tend to learn more when things don't work than otherwise. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Your not wrong, the main lesson here is that I am not touching SP2 in my live enviroment mate! Cant wait to have 70 people screaming at me:oops:

Again thanx for helping

G