2000 to XP network query?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by TeaLA, Sep 3, 2005.

1. TeaLA

TeaLA New Member

I’ve got a niggling networking query

I have 2 PC’s 1 Win2K & 1 WinXP. They are connected through Ethernet NIC’s a 4 port hub/router and to the internet via ADSL, the XP pc has a firewall & both PC’s are on the same workgroup.

I have intermittent difficulty seeing either of the remote computers completely (on both XP and 2k) other times just its shared folders through Windows Explorer and/or my network places. I can always PING both computers and when I have mapped drives at logon it can see and access the shares. When I looked at the Tracert tool it says the TTL is 128 (if the start TTL is 255 like my books say its taking 97 hops to go through my router) :scratch ?? is this normal? If I Tracert the router it only takes 1 hop i.e. TTL 254.

Also, although I have mapped a drive to the XP and shared it from the XP printers folder when I’m, on the 2K pc I can’t see the printer through explorer that is loaded there although I can still print to it from the 2K pc

The router and network is set-up as per manufacturing instructions that came with the router and I’m at a loss? I can get things working but it’s not the best fix solution so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

This situation is bugging me because I think I should know what the problem is and I just don’t I’m sure I’m just missing something really simple. :dunce Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-210, 215, 218 MCSA
    WIP: Considering MOS
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

the TTL isnt ALWAYS 255, this can be overridden by the specific protocol if 255 is to high, its quite common to find 128 :)

secondly do you have the same problems accessing stuff via direct UNC query like so

\\MACHINENAME
    \\MACHINENAME\SHARENAME

windows 'network neigbourhood' is flakey at the best of times, and often doesnt display everything
    even more so if one of those devices has a firewall turned on :)

try the direct UNC approach

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. TeaLA

TeaLA New Member

your right Phoenix, I don't have the same problem via the run command .. it may well be just windows explorer but what about not being able to see the printer? I'm sure I must be doing something wrong there? :confused2

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-210, 215, 218 MCSA
    WIP: Considering MOS
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Are you using a configurable firewall? One in which you can open specific ports? If so open the port the printer is using.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1