2 problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denton Al, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Denton Al

Denton Al New Member

I set up some limited user accounts in XP Pro for the kids and now my user account as an administrator has gone haywire.

Even though it says administrator it wont let me change any settings or load software and the menu, taskbar etc are all in windows 98 style.

Is there a way to fix it?

Second problem, I can't re-install XP home on another PC. It gets approx 60% through 'installing devices' then the monitor goes black and the HDD light stays on constantly.

Is the HDD knackered?

WIP: ECDL, A+
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

for problem one try getting hold of a live cd like Knoppix which should help you reset the password, just boot from that CD and follow the menus.

as for 2 how long have you left it? In the detection phase I thought XP was only testsing one element at a time so with the screen blank it is normally the graphics card or the monitor, but again it comes down to how long you are leaving them.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Dave. Monitor or graphics card.

With the limited user account how limited was it? it could have been that your kids have done something like setting the theme of windows to classic.

Do a right click on the desktop and select properties > themes and select xp or whatever you desire. It may not be that but its worth a try.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

The others haven't asked anything about the graphics and simply assumed.

To begin with are you using onboard graphics or a graphics card?

If it's a graphics card what age and model is it?And what type is it,pci,agp,pci express?

Try and give more details about the pc you are installing windows xp on,the age,the model number.

How old is the hard drive?

What is the condition of the cd?Scratched,genuine cd,home made cd?When was the last time you used that cd successfully for a perfect install?

Are you installing windows with nothing else plugged in at the time such as usb devices,printers etc?

The amount of ram installed,what is the history of the pc?

Pc repair isn't always logic,which is why you can have no display on the monitor and have a perfect working graphics card that is fault free.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272