2 Primary DNS Servers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

If there is a AD domain with three DCs...two of these have been set as primary DNS servers for some while (neither on Active Directory) and haven't replicated properly for some time, what are the implications of demoting one of the primary DNS servers to secondary, and also switching DNS to run through AD whilst people are still logged in, is it going to cause huge issues?

Does anyone know what would be the worst that could happen??!? (would it be just a case of getting the clients to flush DNS)

I have never come accross this scenario before (very odd that it's been set up like this) and want to correct asap.

Cheers in advance.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Not even going to try.

Sorting a different way.

Cheers,

Lee.

3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Was thinking this was good question to have a go at. So, how are you going to do it anyway?

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I recently did some changes to the DNS on my lab for Active Directory Integrated DNS and practiced removing and re-installing the roles. I think this is the procedure I followed, but can't be exactly sure without replicating it again.

First of all I changed the zones to be Primary Zones only. Next I then deleted the zones and removed the DNS folder and subdirectories. Then I ran dnscmd /clearcache and removed the DNS Server role using Manage Your Server from Admin Tools.

Did a reboot and then reinstalled as a DNS using AD Integrated Zones.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Groovy,

Well there is quite a lot of other admin stuff we needed to do also, but to cut a very long story short, for now, we just forced replication so both primary DNS servers reflected the same entries... then demoted one via DNS settings in admin tools.....after a few days, we will switch over to the DNS via AD (In theory, it should all be pucker, but will prob air on the side of caution and make the latter a weekend job - lol)

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Lee are both of your DNS servers domain controllers?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends how the DHCP scope is setup and what DNS servers have been allocated to the clients. You may find that the PCs are using a DNS server that you are reconfiguring and therefore cause some issues.

As Bluerinse has said finding up which DNS servers are domain controllers should influence what options you have.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs