2 Hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by christof, Oct 11, 2004.

1. christof

christof Nibble Poster

hope this is the wright area to post this problem. Here goes.

My mum has a P3 1gig with a 6GB H/D, she upgraded her H/D over the weekend to my old 120GB seagate. I have installed the new H/D as the primary master, and the old drive as the primary slave. Both are running XP Pro installed.

Questions.

1) Can I transfer all the saved emails and address book settings from outlook on the slave drive to the master drive, or will I have to back them up, copy onto CD, and go from there?

2) If it can be done by straight transfer how would I go about doing it?

This is great practical work for me as well, as I'm thumbing through the pages of my A+ tome!

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

um
    Im not sure why you have XP installed on both disks?

you should indeed be able to access both drives at the same time, from within XP, if you know where all the outlook files are stored, just copy them

are you using outlook, or outlook express?

outlook stores its emails in a pst file usually located at

SYSROOT:\Documents & Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

or something along those lines

im not sure if it contains the address book though

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If its outlook copy the .pst file as Phoenix suggested and overwrite the new install one with it and you will have everything you had in the old outlook, contacts and all. You can also export all the data from outlook into a .pst file from witin the app, I think its under the file menu.

HTH

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. christof

christof Nibble Poster

cheers. Sorted it this morning.

Backed up the files in outlook to .pst file. Moved it to a different folder, and imported it over through outlook.

The problem was for some reason I couldn't see the .pst file on the old drive.

Any how problem solved, and the process stored in the memory banks for any future unfore seen changes.

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+