2 exchange 2K7 questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Feb 3, 2010.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi all, 2 quick questions.

1. A user currently has the default mailbox limit of 2GB and only uses webmail via OWA. Is there any danger in increasing this limit to 5GB as they have requested?

2. I have recently created a new user (2 weeks ago) and they still do not show up in the global address list. The user does however show up in the all users address list and the distribution lists as configured. Any ideas why they don't show up in the global address list? (I've tried forced updates, revised schedules and downloading the address book all to no avail)

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

1. No
    2. Any errors in the OAB? Are they hidden from the GAL?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This is an error message that I get in the event log

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeSA
    Event Category: OAL Generator
    Event ID: 9408
    Date: 03.02.2010
    Time: 10:15:50
    User: N/A
    Computer: XXXXXX
    Description:
    OALGen failed to load the offline address book version 4 manifest file '\\XXXXXX\ExchangeOAB\a20188d9-838e-4dd0-b7f4-b243bbb76fd8\oab.xml'. This indicates data tampering or disk problems. Restore files in this folder from the recent backup or clean up folder content and force a full OAB generation.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

How the Offline Address List works is by copying files located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ExchangeOAB to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Client Access\OAB\

Try this:

Organization Configuration > Offline Address Book > Web-Based Distribution
    Server Configuration > Mailbox > Databases > Client Settings > Default Offline Address Book
    Update-OfflineAddressBook "Default Offline Address Book"
    Confirmed that a folder had been created under \\Severname\ExchangeOAB
    netstop MSExchangeFDS
    netstart MSEXchangeFDS

Change the Event Logging to High on Exchange OAL by using the following command:

set-eventLogLevel "MSExchangeSA\OAL Generator" -level high

Watch the Application Event Log for the next few minutes and do a Tools > Send/Recieve > Offline Address Book > Full Download.

If this threws up no errors, then change back to low using the following command:

set-eventLogLevel "MSExchangeSA\OAL Generator" -level low

If that doesn't work then it looks like you need to do a rebuild, do Outlook users get Synch errors as well?

To perform a rebuild do the following:

Delete the contents of the OABGen folder from <ExchangeInstallDir> \ExchangeOAB\ <OAB GUID>, and then rebuild the OAB files by using the following command in the Exchange Management Shell

Update-OfflineAddressBook <OABGuid>

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Not if they've given you a good enough reason no, my users have to have a helluva justification for large mailboxes.

No ones managed to be that convincing yet....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the pointers mate.

I did run the following PS commands (earlier) but still didn't fix it.
    Update-EmailAddressPolicy
    Update-GlobalAddressList

I'll do what you suggested tonight and see if it makes any difference.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Before you get balls deep mate, on my suggestion, can you create a couple of test users and see if there email addresses populate correctly.

If they don't then get balls deep :D