2 base units to one monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sayed, May 2, 2006.

1. Sayed

Sayed Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Was wondering, is there any way of setting up two base units to one monitor? so basically, you can use one or the other but not simultaneously... thx

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sayed,

Sounds like you need a KVM switch. A KVM switch allows you to have a single keyboard, video, and mouse to control multiple "base units" as you call them. A KVM switch may have a dial switch, push buttons, or another way of choosing which "base unit" you want to control.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i agree with r.h.lee... KVM - you can even get an electronic one, where you press a key combination on your keyboard and it will switch...

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

we just got a real nice on at work with USB and Ethernet ports! :eek:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah KVM for sure.... you can get USB ones these days, quite cheap with only enough ports for two base units so their quite small.

Although they tend to play up occasionally.... just unplug both USB cables to fix!

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  6. Sayed

Sayed Bit Poster

Yeah sounds good... i been looking up some KVM switches and the Belkin USB one sounds good, however ive read a review somewhere that the ps2 connections are more reliable and the usb version can cause probs... anyone know any info abt this issue? is one better than the other?

Also, at the moment ive got a wireless keyboard and mouse set up, which only uses one usb port... im assuming that im going to need a new keyboard and mouse which has its own usb/ps2 port ... or do you think ill be able to use my existing wireless one?

Thanks guys for the advice btw :)

7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I just bought one about a month ago. Belkin seem to be the best for home use. You can usually pick up a 2 or 4 port KVM with either USB or PS2 depending on what your setup is. I bought the Soho 4 port USB KVM at Amazon which were the cheapest. Note the cables need to be bought seperatly. Have a look on their website. You can buy KVM's for cheaper but have heard that the quality is very good. Ebuyer seem to sell a good selection as well.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011