1st IT Job Interview Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Arron, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Hi all,

I finally got my first IT job interview tomorrow after applying for six entry level positions :)

Here are the job details:

1. Perform basic workstation/network maintenance primarily in the southern regional office under the direction of the IT Manager.

2. Assist the IT Manager and other **** staff in maintaining reliable and complete data in line with written processes and produce statistical reports.

3. Assist in the maintenance and development of the **** website.

4. Work with the **** marketing group to produce marketing materials.

5. Provide IT related staff development in conjunction with the IT Manager.

6.Assist and support the Regional Office Manager with other duties appropriate to the role.

The role is an IT admin position and even though I have spoken with the Regional Office Manager im still not confident with having no IT job experience. The job doesnt specifically ask for a number of years experience but looking at the job responsibilities I would say that it is "entry level" or am I wrong?

What attracted me to the position was the required web design skills which is my strongest IT ability (even though i did a degree in network management and currently studying for CCNA). My degree dissertation was a web based project which is why I have aquired these web skills.

I also have a technical test before the interview which will cover the following topics:
    Windows networking
    HTML
    ASP/ASP.NET/VBScript, JavaScript, CSS, Flash
    Relational database systems, in particular SQL

To prepare I have done research into the company and brushed up on my web programming skills.

Any tips or comments will be well appreciated. Cheers.

Certifications: BSc Network Management & Security
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Tip: Be yourself.

Good Luck!

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

QFT - (I hope Modey is not online and to see that QFT:oops:) but Tinus is right just be yourself, don't tell them lies or invent skills that you have not, just to impress them. Obviously they were impressed enough to invite you for an interveiw.

You may think you can't do all those things but you can you've just got to believe in yourself.

Good luck!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice guys. Im a little nervous but thats normal (well I hope so :biggrin). Thanks again.

5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Good luck. You don' necessarily need the experience - just the ability to build it up!! :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good Luck mate :)

As said Be yourself and if you don't know about something then be honest about it, look the interviewer or interviewers in the eye when they are talking to you and you will be fine.

Finger crossed for ya.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Thanks for all your support. The interview is at 2.00pm. I will let you know how i get on.

Cheers :thumbleft

8. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Good Luck.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Best wishes, and above all be yourself, not laid back but show initiative, drive and interest. Finally, if you're not sure of a question don't guess be honest and say you'd however don't mind learning or researching that area as soon as possible. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Hi all,

It went very well. I calmed my nerves and spoke clearly. The interview had a relaxed atmosphere which made it easier. They asked mainly about my technical abilities related to the job. Luckly my dissertation research website is still online which makes use of HTML, SQL database on an SQL server at the uni and PHP to grab the info from the database to display on the webpages. They wasnt too concered about my experience as they mentioned they would prefer to mold a person into the roll instead of employing someone and leaving them to it. I prepared some questions for the end which they seemed impressed with and I had the IT manager talking for ages on them which was good.

The test also went well. Some very basic questions and some more difficult. I will hear either friday or monday at the latest so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your support! I will let you know how it goes. Cheers.

11. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Good luck.

When I had my interview I was asked if there was any questions, I was like -> :blink "I wish I had prepared some things to ask but I never." and he replied "Ah, it's ok, no questions means I've explained everything well I hope" :p

Luckily for me he was a nice guy and I had a laugh with him at various points throughout my interview.

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well done matey, sounds like you did well. Keep your fingers crossed now. :)

p.s. UCM, I did see it, and I'm very dissapointed. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Good news! Im in the last two :D

I had the phone call yesterday afternoon from the regional office manager. She told me they couldnt decide who to choose for the post so asked if I was interested in a 2nd interview which I happily accepted. I was also informed that the 2nd interview will include a practical assessment such as doing a specific task related to the role and to see how I get on with the staff. The interview will be the week after next so there is a little wait but they apologied and said they will contact me next week.

Sounds promising so im keeping my fingers crossed and hope I get the job. I will keep you all posted. Cheers :thumbleft

14. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Congrats man! Good Luck!!!!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Often, the best jobs come attached to difficult interviews, multiple interviews, real-world assessments, and long waits... they're being careful to match up the right candidate with the right position - the mark of a company who truly cares about hiring quality employees. :)

I wish you well on your second interview!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

That is good news. Lots of succes on the second interview.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck with the second interview.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  18. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Thanks for all your support. Just had a phone call and they want be back in tomorrow morning for a few hours to see how i get on with the job and staff. Im excited but nervous at the same time. Maybe a new shirt and tie will bring me luck :biggrin

I will let you know how it goes. Cheers.

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good Luck mate :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with your 2nd job interview mate, let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security