1st interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by pj, Nov 29, 2006.

1. pj

pj Bit Poster

hi all, iam just lookin for a bit of advice. I've got my first interview for an IT job this week and was wondering how to approach it. It's for a sevice engineer mainly printers/plotters.

cheers

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+ CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Best way is to be as natural as possible.

The only other prep I'd do is to find out about the company - what it does, how long it has been going for.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hey PJ

All I can say is follow the advise on this board, Dress smart, arrive a little early so you can walk into the interview calm and collected and do a little research about the position and company, the preparation will also set your mind at ease as your not going into that situation blind.

Look your interviewer in the eye and try to engage them rather than simply answering questions.

The service engineer mainly Printers/plotters...is this in a workshop or will you be out meeting the clients? If you’re out and about then try to get across you people / customer skills and try to have a few examples of when you’ve displayed good customer service skills or where you’ve gone out of your way to help a client.

Keep Calm and don’t Panic, Remember the interview is your chance to see whether this job is right for you so be sure to ask any questions you may have in regards to duties and development.

Good Luck :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with the previous posters about relaxing and being natural. If you don't know the answer to a question, say so - good interviewers can easily spot someone trying to BS an answer. Often, interviewers will intentionally ask difficult (or impossible-to-answer) questions just to see how well you perform under pressure... especially if they know you'll be in difficult situations out in the field, fixing a printer with an upset client lurking over your shoulder.

So... be yourself. If you are the best candidate for the job, the job will come to you naturally. The best you can do is the best you can do, right?

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!