1st interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Georgiesickjitz, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

I have trouble with this question because i would like to think I have no bad points.:D iv just asked my other half the question, and she says I have a stinky bum.

Ok being serious. I work hard, im possitive, I work well with people or independently,A good communicator, humble. Dude I honestly Couldnt answer this question, I think i need a good untrue answer. Ok so from what I have just written maybe a little arragant. no im sure thats not in my personallity

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Georgiesickjitz

Got it, I can expect to much of my self, Iam very hard on my self if i dont excell.

3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

In terms of interviewing and answer interview question I can't recommend this book enough. See below:

Answers to tough interview questions. Anyone serious on doing well in an interview should invest in this book.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I hate those questions. Competency based questions as they call them.
    It's normally best to answer these honestly, but it's almost impossible to think of answers on your feet when you're already nervous. Even worse if you have hundreds of examples from your life and you have to try to pick the most relevant.
    Some common competency based questions
    There's a starter for ten on searching for those types of questions.
    All you've got to do is hope that you remember the right ones on the right day.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I think if you look hard enough there is ALWAYS a bad attribute to someone. Sometimes they just aren't that apparent, but they are there nonetheless. There's always something you could do better or less of (like if you micro-manage). The best thing to do is to prepare for common questions such as: your worst trait, what did you like/dislike about your previous employer, etc. General rule is that any question that has a negative answer should always have a positive spin. Like you didn't like how your manager did X, but it helped you recognize a better way to do Y and insert fluff blah blah. You get the idea?

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  6. zet

zet Byte Poster

you can google the answer, many examples provided :P

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  7. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Usually you can get away with that you sometimes take too much ownership of calls, problems etc and that you have learnt to take maore decisive decisions with regards to deciding if a call can be pased oe not. Something along those lines.

One inmy interview the otherday was when you have went that extra mile for a user and also how do you deal with an irate user.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  8. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Has happened to me before and have to say I completely hate it :x, I mean if they wanna test your response to something surely there are other questions n scenarios.. anyway I feel like asking the same Q back to the interviewer when they ask me 'most negative thing' about my self, I think the negative thing about them is that they ask these sort of q's I suppose. Anyway hope you get it mate

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Maybe they ask the same questions as a test. If you don't have a good answer prepared then it may be because you don't plan ahead, or don't think the interview is important enough to prepare for. Although I suspect some of it is just laziness on the interviewers part it doesn't look good if you struggle to answer standard questions.

10. Georgiesickjitz

I agree with soundian, I guess the employer needs to know how much you really want the job. If we have studied for these generic question and answers, then present it with a confidence,this will prove alot of factors.

He/she has the intelligence to research the questions.
    Hardwork to memorise them.
    And that added extra to present them.

Im slowly coming to the realisation that there is so much more to the questions.

11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Georgiesickjitz, welcome to the University of Interviews! Seriously dude this is an art form in itself and I've known many qualified and experienced guys n gals that just stumble in interviews! Their soft skills are excellent and technical skills 2nd to none but interview skills? Well..they just fall apart!

The first thing to accept is interviews can go badly wrong and even for the most confident and experienced guy/girl. I attended an interview back in 2008 where I just had to get up and walk out. The interviewer was such a rude and sarcastic b1tch that I just called time halfway through and said "you know what? This ain't the job for me" and I just left. Other interviews have gone that well where in one of them I was told that likelyhood was that I would get the job and I did! And then of course they are those interviews where you just get no vibe off the interviewers and that always seems to happen if I'm being interviewed by someone such as a Finance Director: seem to come across as cold individuals!

However, I always go into them with a blank mind and with the assurance that I can only answer questions based on my experience, technical knowledge and of course soft skills. I also never forget that I am interviewing them too...so get some questions ready and don't give them too much of an easy ride!

If I'm asked a question that I do not know the answer to then I will tell them straight "I do not know" but then add how I would find out the answer if such a situation arose on the job AND then turn the negative into a positive by giving them an answer based on my experience i.e. "I would consult my colleagues for help, ask my manager" and so on! You'd be amazed at just how many people attempt to "blag it" or simply answer "I don't know" without any follow on! When you're successful at getting a job, wait a few months and then ask your manager about the quality of candidates that you were up against! You'd be shocked at how badly some interviewees conduct themselves at an interview!

But like I said earlier, it is an Art Form and the only way you get better at interviews is to keep attending as many as possible because eventually you'll get the "feel" of what you need to say and what you can safely "miss out" LOL!

As for the "weaknesses" type question I always use the "lack of formal qualifications!" excuse in that I admit that I didn't do well at school but I make up for that with my IT studies etc. That one always works for me as most interviews/jobs I've had did not give a sh1t about GCSEs even though they stated "5 GCSEs or O Levels plus 2 A Levels" on the job spec! My current job required an IT Degree but the fact that I did not have one was never mentioned during the interview??? I can thank Ryan, Tripwire, Gav, AJ and BosonM for that because when I posed the question here - about Job Spec requirments (about 4 years back) - all of them told me to think of the Spec as a "wishlist" and not a requirement...and that is so true! So yeah...you're doing the right thing by coming on here and telling us about your experiences etc because a lot of the guys here can put your mind at rest no probs!

So, keep battling on mate! You'll get there soon!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  12. Georgiesickjitz

Drum dude, thankyou so much for that post, it was great to hear such a positive out look to this topic.Thank you again for taking the time to really detail your experiences. Every thing you have just said was great cheers.:D

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There absolutely is. I often like to ask an "unanswerable" question just to see how the interviewer handles himself/herself in an uncomfortable situation. Those who don't stress out and have a quick thought process have a huge advantage.

So... even if your stomach is fluttering, don't let them be able to tell it. Just answer to the best of your ability. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Georgiesickjitz

Ok Bosonmicheal,I will totally bare that in mine. Its good to hear from an employers perspective. Great advice guys thankyou

15. Georgiesickjitz

I have not heard any thing back from the job. I hope to have a better interview next time. Aam really glad i had it as I definatly learnt alot doing it.

16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you haven't heard anything at all maybe you should give your contact a call/email. It's not really considered polite to invite someone for an interview and not inform them of the decision, poor "customer service" otherwise. Maybe they just haven't decided yet.

I like your attitude though, learn from your experience and the next time you may just edge it.

17. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Something along the lines of "what would you do to find the humvee keys?" haha!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680