1st Helpdesk interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fresh108, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

Hey guys,

I got a call for my 1st ever Trainee IT Helpdesk interview for thursday.
    I was just wondering what type of technical questions they might ask me? Im pretty good at interpersonal questions, and on the spot questions about my CV. I've never had an interview with someone asking technical questions? How much should I prepare technically for a role like this? What might they ask?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you guys

Certifications: BSc Computer Science, A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Vengal

Vengal Bit Poster

i know you got a lot of things to prepare for, but may i ask u if u are an IT grad?

tip: do a search in google for interview preps

WIP: A+ N+
  3. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

Yep. I graduated in Computer Science in 2007! Made the mistake of travelling and since I've been back Im having no luck breaking into the industry.

4. Vengal

Vengal Bit Poster

wat does the job involve? i.e. job spec?

WIP: A+ N+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, any break between college and employment looks like you've been struggling to find a job, regardless of what the truth actually is. :(

To be honest, they could ask you anything and everything. The questions are as varied as the companies you interview with. There's really no way to prepare other than confidencewise... get a good night's sleep, and go into the interview confidently (obviously, without being arrogantly confident).

Best advice I can give is this: if you don't know the answer to something, don't try to tap dance your way through it... be honest. A good interviewer can smell a BS answer from a mile away.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

Sorry for the hassle guys. Over excitement I posted a message on here thinking it was a legit helpdesk interview role....WHEN ACTUALLY it was a damn Training Provider trying to make out I got an interview for a Helpdesk role. Over the phone they said "we have an opportunity for a trainee helpdesk role, I will email you all the details". This is all the email states:

"We have successfully selected you for a Career Professional- IT Helpdesk Position interview Slots Available for interview and assessment(Select Date and Time) Wednesday 25th or 26th , 27th March 2009. Time: 9.30am, 10am, 10.45am, 11.30am, 12.15pm. 1.15pm, 2.00pm, 2.45pm, 3.15pm, 4.00pm,4.30pm Assessment is a one to one think of why you would be suitable, our presentation and 10minutes with Manager if you wish to proceed."

www.arlington-rowe.co.uk is their website.

TP's are really cheesing me off now, if I didn't catch on I would've wasted a day.

:mad

7. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Sorry dude but I disagree with you saying its a mistake. ;P Good luck with getting in somewhere.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  8. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Research the usual websites, you'll likely to be asked some of the standard questions, have those prepared so they come out naturally. Also think about situations you've been in and how those can be used. Giving examples to back up your answers shows you've thought about the job.

I disagree that travelling is a mistake, especially if you got something out of it. Not everything you do in your life should be to boost your job prospects :biggrin

Good luck in your job search.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  9. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

Travelling was amazing and prob wouldn't change it. But at the same time it's tough being home and getting yelled at!! lol