1st Day in new job!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sas, Nov 15, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Sas,I would like to ask you what exactly you do in your job? do you deal with customers broadband connections? if so what is the procedure you take when a customer is unable to connect to broadband? in other words do you tell your customers to just ring BT or do you take the customer through the procedure before sending it off for BT Wholesale to send out an engineer? the reason I am asking is cos I work at BT for the faults department and we have been bombarded with a lot of calls from customers of AOL broadband who tell us AOL told them to ring us when clearly its nothing to do with us, so I just want to know exactly what goes on so I can pass the information to my colleagues here so we know exactly what to say when customers from AOL or any other ISP come thru to us...thanks...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. sas

sas Bit Poster

well mate...we troubleshoot the problem to a piont then pass on to 2nd level etc...who if needed schedulle a bt engineer through proper channels..we in no circumstances tell customers to phone bt as there is no need..but alot of them do mate and we have no control over that i'm afraid..i have had loads where they phone us up and say 'i phoned bt and its not the line whats wrong here!!' they phone us second it seems, don't know why. :rolleyes:

WIP: Studying for A+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

lol - do I detect NoelG building up into another "ISP Tech Support bashing" rant again....? :blink

OK, buster, come on - give it yer best shot - AGAIN :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Oooooo

Now that's fighting talk :argue

he he he

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well Im glad you mention that sas cos there are some people who work in these ISPs who dont seem to want to help the customers, they just pass the problem to BT, but when we tell them its not the line, they go back to their ISP more furious than before...thank you for clearing that one up...now I need to make a memo for everyone at work about this...

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry NoelG - I'm just teasing with ya ...

Actually, I agree - no ISP tech should automatically just pass the buck to BTwithout carrying out thorough tests first. As you know, by that I mean basic stuff at the user's end, ie filter and hardware, sync, pilot error, etc.

After that, at the least a full woosh test should be carried out on the line, and then, and ONLY then, should the fault be referred to BT (via the standard channels). But even at this stage, I would stress that it should be the ISP referring to BT, not the EU. When a suspected fault reaches this stage, we take full responsibility for liaison between all concerned parties.

Is it just AOL you find this happens with, or other ISP's ? Also, m8 - watch out with the name-dropping -we don't want the laywers around, do we (and FFS if you find my place is doing this too, please don't name us [​IMG] ) I personally assure you we never advise this to customers at all.

I'm actually contemplating nominating our dept for the best UK ISP tech support team, cos we is damn fine [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Perhaps because they would rather phone BT for nowt or next to nowt, than pay for whatever rate their ISP charges for tech support. Funny how they stop moaning about call costs when you point out to them that the problem is theirs.

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thank you for that one Jak, just what I was looking to hear, no its not just AOL, but I wont mention names, there are at least 3 others, also you talk about name-dropping, I have noticed that these ISPs are telling their customers its our fault, but if we say to them that their ISP is this and that, we'll have Ofcom breathing down our necks faster than you can say my download has just finished! so finally I get the real picture and will put everyone at work into perspective, thanks Sas and Jak...

8. sas

sas Bit Poster

funny thing is mate aol no is free phone and bt isn't i don't think (don't quote me on that!)...strange.

NoelG24 - there is a lot of new faces in my work (inc myself) so i guess it could be happening by some that r not interested in helping..which just causes more work for all of us. hope not but the truth is i don't know everyone there and i also get stupid calls like 'i was just onto a collegue who told me to unplug my filter and check it, then i got cut off the phone'..seems some just wanna get mbrs off the phone which Pi$$es me off quite a bit....sorry rant over lol :D

9. Lonny

Lonny New Member

Happy for you... good luck with that :)

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I know what you mean sas. I remember when working at BT Broadband, when you say to a customer to swap their filter thy actually unplug the phone there and then whilst on the call so you have to say dont do it now wait until the call is finished or we will get cut off...as for numbers being free, where I work its a free number, the BT Broadband help desk is national rate, other parts of BT are also free and some are local rate, so it all depends who you ring really...but I work at the faults department so its free when customers call us. sorry I know u didnt want to be qouted but I thought I say it...ok hope thats all for now...

11. herby247

herby247 New Member

Hi ALL complete newbie, AND novice here.
    SAS i see you posted that you got a job at becogent for AOL doing IT tech support.
    I seen this job advertised for the erksine branch, and applied i ve got an interview set up for the end of the month.
    Ok heres my Q's...

1 = I have NO IT experience at all , i am a cabinet maker to trade, have been for the last 11 years, but i am fairly computer literate, it s change job time, so will i need to have experience or is FULL training provided?

2 = Is the job easy?

3 = Do you have ANY advice at all for me.

If any of you guys respond to this post, id be more than happy.
    Cheers guys, and thanks for reading!
    Herby

12. sas

sas Bit Poster

Hi m8...not been in here in a while but may have just caught you b4 the interview/small test

don't worry full training given you just have to know how to work a comp and the net to have a chance...some people haven't had any it experience but have had call centre stuff and some like myself no call centre work but know my way around a comp.

wouldn't say the job is easy m8...there is a lot of help which is always good...ppl there keep you right...after about two weeks of mistakes lol you get to know about every fault that ppl can come up with to ask whats wrong and you learn most of the software and wot you can do...so basically once you get into it yeah you could say easy.

advice would be just be confident but kean to learn...take in what they tell you in training WHEN you get there...and if you suceed to get onto the phones, don't take any crap of the moaners lol :D

13. herby247

herby247 New Member

Cheers for replying SAS, have been checking the forums for a reply for a while, thank for posting.
    I got my interview at 2pm friday 28th jan.
    What should i wear, will they tell me tomorrow if i ve got the job or will they call or write to me? Thanks for the info.
    Will post after it to let you know how it go s.
    Herby.

Ps. I work 8am-4:30pm just now, if becogent take me on full time, what hours are they likely to offer??

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Good luck, Herby :D

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck from me too. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

All the best of luck m8 :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck from me as well, Herby. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. herby247

herby247 New Member

Went fairly well (i think), filled in a few details about myself etc on the pc, then filled in an aol test sheet, eg name 3 search engines etc....
    They will write to me with regards to the job, only worry is the hours, 8am-4pm (fine) 1 week, then 4pm-midnight the next week, (not V keen at all)!!

SAS do you work these hours, and are they set in stone??
    Cheers again guys.
    Herby.

19. sas

sas Bit Poster

i don't work them hours m8..i only start a 9 earliest and finish 10 latest.

they should call you back thats wot the done with me m8...probably hear within a few days maybe monday though.

GOOD luck m8 :D

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Is the 4 to midnight shift impossible for you to work or just inconvenient? If you have family obligations (single parent or such) that you cannot work in the evenings at all ever, you might be able to appeal to your prospective employer and see if you can work days only

On the other hand, if you simply prefer not to work evenings, but could in a pinch, you might want to accept the terms up front. Then when they see you are a hard worker and are able and willing to do the job...and you have some seniority under your belt, you might want to approach your supervisor to see if you can be switched to just days.

That way, you'll have a paying job up front rather than perhaps causing the prospective employer to believe you are not willing to "pay your dues" as the position requires.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+