18-25K IT job (or your money back)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jaydimitri, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. jaydimitri

jaydimitri New Member

Continued thanks for the input guys.

OK, so I've decided against the TP's - at least for now. I'm going to try the A+ on my own and see how I feel. If it doesn't work out, I can always go on a course.

What would your views be on paying for an internship? There are quite a few companies here in London who go about putting people in placements in any given field (for a fee of course). Seems to be lots of options with regard to length of placement - anything from 6 weeks - several months. Would this be worth considering to put yourself ahead of the pile? Doesn't sound too bad to me. If one goes the self-study route, the money saved could go towards placement costs.

Any views?

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Never pay to work.

Work for a salary where you can, or work for free if you must.
    Paying for a job in any way or form can't be right...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

Jaydimitri,

you from you orignial posts you know that it can be tough to get an entry level IT role.
    But honestly when you see these garanteed jobs 18-25k after x amount of training surely a couple of well known pieces of wisdom just spring to mind......???

"if it sounds to good to be true..... it probably is...."

and also unfortunately i think these nasty organisations have heard of "people believe what they want to believe"
    and they are taking advantage.

I would love to be wrong but please take advise from forum members and be very careful, many a CF member has seen/experienced some training provider nightmares. Just search through previous posts.

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hi Jay,

I've been around these forums for 4 years now, do a search yourself for the number of people who are out of pocket because :-

1. Their TP went into liquidation

2. Didn't deliver what they thought they had been promised

3. Used a technicality not to deliver

4. Subscribed people unsuitable onto their course

5. Provided sub-standard training or training materials or limited tutor support.

6. Provided rationed, time boxed, location limited, class size limited, or otherwise obstructed the students from attending classes or exams.

7. Offered jobs in locations that were unsuitable to the candidates or that otherwise didn't materialise.

8. Used dodgy sales and marketing practices to sign people into a deal with limited right to appeal or redress or refund.

9. Bring out the lawyers the minute you complain about what you've been duped into and demand you pay in full, even for training you never received.

and the million other ways these companies use to generate cash while swindling students, these are generally not nice honest companies or government approved colleges.

I'm not guessing about it, I've read literally hundreds of cases similar to the above. I also personally know at least one person that has spent 8k on a TP and was not happy with what they got.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    JonnyMX and csx like this.
  6. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

To be honest, every employer and university i've spoken to admire the self study route rather than the TP because it shows that you are self motivated, and a self starter. You are able to set yourself goals, and then achieve them. Self study gets more respect than TP's from the feedback i've got.