1/3 scale working model of a Ferrari

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Dec 13, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The video linked below is pretty incredible.

A mechanical engineer made his own mechanical drawings, designed and built, from scratch, a working scale model Ferrari race car with drive train--including the engine, transmission, fuel injection, functioning suspension, and rear end. It is completely functional in all aspects and if he could find someone small enough to drive the car, it could be driven. Everything works just as it does on the real Ferrari.

He spent over 20,000 hours over a 12 year time span to build this as he designed and built every piece of the car himself.

http://thatvideosite.com/video/3711

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Incredible. I can't grasp that kind of motivation and goal achievement. For me, it's taken 23 years to be a marginal guitar player.... doesn't even come close :oops:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. ffreeloader

I fully agree that the motivation and self-discipline are phenomenal, but his technical skills are just as impressive as his character. This guy built, from scratch, everything from a horizontally opposed 12 cylinder engine to perfectly round tires. So, he not only understands the theory for each process he needed to use he has the hands on skill to do everything from vulcanizing rubber, to close tolerance metal machining, to being able to temper several kinds of metal and do surface hardening, to building exacting molds. This guy even had a working tach on this car and his engine would turn over 9000 rpm.

It's a marvel of building and designing alongside extraordinary self-discipline.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow, now that is fantastic. It does beg the question why he didn't make it a tad larger so that he could drive the thing :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. ffreeloader

He answers that question near the beginning of the video. He built it to be something surreal, a working Ferrari in his living room, or dining room, I can't remember which for sure. Anyway, a working Ferrari that would fit inside a room in his home.