£3225 for course. Urgent Help needed!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mickaveli2001, Sep 24, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's good advice. Unfortunately, they're prepared for that argument. They'll pressure you by telling you that "the offer is only available for today only", and they're "having to pull strings just to make that happen". Many people fold at that point and sign on the dotted line so they don't "miss out on such a good deal". Quite unfortunate, really, how the salespeople have to lie to prospective students just to make the students sign before they have a chance to do their research.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. BosonMichael

From what I have heard, this is exactly what happens. No matter what you score, you always do "just good enough" to get in, but low enough to make you feel like you still have work to do - to make you feel like you need the training. In truth, they care about your ability to pay.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

when I was looking at TPs they all told me the test I did was to see how much info they could throw at me not wether I was suitable. On one of the tests which was for computeach I answered all the questions incorrectly apart from one which I actually didn't know and they were trying to snap my hands off for me to sign the paper.

Luckilly I found this place and told them all to **** off.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

I don't think I got that, although he did say he had to phone up the head office to see if I could enroll, well even though it was all set, he'd have to phone up just in case. The signal was pretty crap in here, and he had to go outside to get a decent signal. That much is true because the signal is pretty crap in the house here. This was after the score of 16, which he said straightaway that candidates have to score a minimum of 14. I can see about that "special offer for today" thing. It's quite bad they should have to do this, especially when it's a delicate thing like education

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Indeed. You need to keep your wits about you. My general rule of thumb is just say no to sales people. If I have a particular interest in something they are selling then I'll let them go on about it, ask them to leave and then research it myself.

This way I may find a better deal/more information etc and at least then I knowI've only got myself to blame if something cocks up.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. greenbrucelee

the don't come to your house to see if your eligable, they come to your house to see how much the can realistically fleece you.

There has been a thread on here sometime ago when two people were with the same TP doing the same course, but they were getting charged different amounts. This is because the 'salesman' worked out one could afford more than the other.

Go to a college or self study thats my opinion.

7. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

I think people sign up for these courses that are new to the IT sector and more than anything simply lack confidence to believe they could every do something "so technical" without loads of tuition when it simply isn't the case

Follow the excellent adviose of others and get them cancelled NOW

You got one thing correct and that's the courses, start off with the A+ and N+ and once you've passed them you'll have had a real confidence boost and feel you can do anything via the self study route - and how do I know all this, because it's EXACTLY what I started to do 7 years ago

I had computeach around, refused to signup there and then, eventually decided I couldn't afford it but just started tinkering around with computers and managed to get a job building them after offering to show the owner what I could do by working 3-4 saturday mornings for him for nothing.

Worked there a few years and moved on to my current role as a sysadmin and then finally started the cert route and last year passed my MCSA

Go for it - you can do it :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I've used Skillstrain, and I've always maintained that potentially some TPs are right for some people.

But they're not cheap, and you should always be aware that you're inviting a salesperson, and not a tutor, to your door.

I hope you get your cancellation processed okay, Mickaveli.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I didn't read the whole thread but it sounded like a lot of panicking going on. It's very easy to cancel a direct debit.

I had one of these people around my house once, and after giving me the hard sell, became aggressive when my dad walked in the room and called him a salesman!!

10. Arroryn

It's not the direct debit - it's the contract of payment attached to it.

And they're quite, quite watertight legally. Unfortunately.

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you sign a legal agreement it is legally binding, regardless if they have the money yet.

Hes right to be concerned, the only reason he has any chance of getting out of it is the 'Consumer Credit Act 1974', it demands a cooling off period for people that visit your house, for just these reasons. He has to use this act and contact them in writing and cancel in the cooling off period, otherwise he is absolutely liable for the full amount regardless of the direct debit instructions.

http://www.moneyextra.com/dictionary/consumer-credit-act-025429.php
    http://whatconsumer.co.uk/credit-agreements-explained/
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/making-complaint/template-letters/consumer_credit/

12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Get the mail post-dated and make photocopies of the stamped post-dated envelopes. Record the tracking numbers, and save the fax confirmation notices - just in case they don't recieve the cancellation within the alloted time. :dry

I'd also speak with the Bank / Credit Card operator and tell them you've cancelled the contract and payment should not be processed. Otherwise, you'll need to do a charge back (banks don't usually like chargebacks, neither do the vendors).

13. mickaveli2001

I canceled the payment earlier today. I sent a letter to Barclay's Finance via special 'next day' delivery, and have kept the receipt just so that I can prove I sent a letter of cancellation and have learned from this mistake. I only signed the agreement lastnight (23/09/09) and today is the 24th so that's enough time. I also sent a letter to the training provider

I have been studying A+ for around 3 months maybe longer (and believe I could do this myself), and told the women on the phone this. I even told the 'training adviser' in my house this, and asked if he spoke with this same women. He said yes, but said they could put me through the A+.
    Thing is, the door went at 5:30pm lastnight and I had forgotten all about the training 'adviser' visiting. I got sent home from work yesterday morning first thing due to being ill, bit dizzy (flu-wise I think) and for this reason couldn't even drive home - had to get driven home in the company car by another employee, and was drugged up on Trianabol (sp?) a strong painkiller which dazes you some lol, and really wasn't up for it. While he was explaining things, he looked at me once or twice and was like ..... "you look like your confused", "you not understand". Hell even when he came through the door I apologised from the get-go, and that I'd been sent home from work due to being ill, there was no response or sympathethic humour in anyway in what you'd expect a rational person to give when saying that to them - nope it was all back to business and talking course stuff, right then I should have came to my senses, but 1) I'm easily influenced after 2 hours I guess and 2) wasn't up for 2 hours worth while being ill. I was off work today fortunatly, which I was able to post letters, which resulted in a 30 min walk, and 30 min walk back due to having no car (as it's still at my work) and if they still decide to take £45 to cover administration costs etc. as it states on the terms and conditions, then I'll be keeping the initial course A+ content, to cover my costs

14. BosonMichael

Careful... keeping the content could constitute acceptance of the terms of the contract to a court. Count the £45 as "stupid tax" and give the content back if they request it. I'd hate to see you get burned beyond the £45.

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’m surprised you even considered a training provide tbh mate.

Anyways, get well soon! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Arroryn

As I remember it, the first red folder you get is an 'introduction to the A+' type-folder, and the disc is nothing much at all. Over the course of my A+ and N+ I got dozens of both discs and folders. I suspect they probably won't ask for it back... but don't deface any of it, just in case they decide to :rolleyes:

17. mickaveli2001

Well the first £75 came off, and not from the Barclays Finance company, but from the college itself. I have made a "debit card" payment according to the bank. I phoned up my bank and it was processed, and came off on the Thursday (I only signed this 2 days beforehand) I have phioned up the finance company and they don't even have me on any system yet as no direct debit is set up - which it isn't because I've checked with the bank so they're telling the truth

2 days is awfully quick for payment to come off, so I called the college up first thing this morning, and to be perfectly honest they wern't too helpful, and because I sent the college letter first class (not recorded - only sent a recorded one to the finance company) I have no way of checking, and I asked if they could check for me, but no help whatsoever, the women just babbled procedures at me, and claimed that my enrollment details are put in a hold file for 2 weeks THEN put onto the system, once that happens, they can then remove them from the system, and then arrange for materials to be handed back, once they are handed, I would have to phone them to confirm they have received them, THEN I can get the refund. I asked how long this would take, and she said around 3-4 weeks. I was like THREE TO FOUR WEEKS :x take you lot 2 days to take money from my account, but I've to wait 3-4 weeks? There's gotta be something else I can do. I'm thinking of phoning up consumer rights or citezins advice or anything, because I get the feeling that they'll try stallin tactics. I got the name of the women I phoned up about it, and even asked if she could write it down or something that I have confirmed cancellation over the phone, just in case the letter get's "lost" lol. That £75 to me is a weeks worth of money to me, £20 petrol, £30 food, £20 Fri night alcohol! I will be overdrawn this month for sure.

Another thing she said was about "you would have signed a payment form, release form" or something along these lines, but I didn't check everything I signed, but looking at it all now, I also saw that it stated that "You would have been given full course materials", however I was not, I was only given a tiny portion of the A+, so they haven't done their bit properly either, so I don't know how to go about it. Any ideas or advise?? Will be greatly appreciated

18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Can you visit them in person? I would if it was possible and get some desk thumping done. :) If not, keep on them, phone them twice a day till they are sick of hearing from you, it may help to speed up things.

As for payments from debit cards. As far as I know, a bank can reverse / block this on the same day that it occurs (HSBC told be this anyway when I had an issue with an ISP a while back). If you have access to online banking, keep a close eye on your account incase they try and pull something else. You aren't protected in the same way as you are with a direct debit if they are just taking payments direct from your card.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. greenbrucelee

what he said ^

Go to your bank and stop the payments and reverse the one that has just went, although you may be charged for it.

20. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can dispute a credit card payment and the amount gets frozen while an investigation takes place...