£3225 for course. Urgent Help needed!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mickaveli2001, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

I had a training "adviser" round my door yesterday from skilltrain, and me being me, signed up to A+/N+ & MCSA course, which costs a total of 3225, but will take £75 a month off, which looking at, I can't afford. I wasn't really given much time to think it over, it was a case of signing on the paper. I said on the telephone to the women initially 3 days ago, that I'm studying for A+ and that I wouldn't be thinking about signing up for a course for another 5 months. I've looked over the sheets, and it says the following:

YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL

Once you have signed, you will have for a short time, a right to cancel this agreement. You can do this by sending or taking WRITTEN notice of cancellation to Barclays Partner Finance, PO Box 3979, Glasgow, G51 1YL

If you cancel this agreement, you will receive return of any money you have paid. You will not have to make any further payment

If you already have any goods under the agreement, you should not use them and keep them safe (legal action may be taken against you if you do not take proper care of them) You can wait for them to be collected from you and you need not hand them over unless you receive a written request

^^^

That's what it says there. I got a black suitcase bag type thing, with comptia A+ Disc and booklet, and breif summary of A+/N+/MCSA describing what they entail, and a few leaflets and things, as well as a book with username and password onto the skilltrain online learning facility. I need out though, and signed this yesterday being motivated after hearing them (stupid me I know) but I can't even afford £40 out my wages each month, never mind £75, my budget is already stretched thin, which I also said. I asked the women on the phone if this "adviser" was on commision, because I wasn't wanting to put up with someone trying to force a sale, as I cannot take on any course right now finance wise. I guess the question is: How would I write a cancellation letter to this finance company?

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

*sigh*

I hate salespeople that pressure people to the hard sell.

You don't need to colour the letter up.

The student number should be on the paperwork you signed when the salesperson was there - on the pink copy, in the top right corner. Obviously include your contact details on the letter. Also call their admin department and ask if you can also send a fax copy of the letter as follow up.

Write it and send it today via Special Delivery next day 9am. You don't have much time to send it off before you're contracturally tied.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi,
    Found this on the net.

I think you'd need to modify the first paragraph a little, but I'd leave the bit in about receiving written confirmation. Also, I'd send it by recorded/signed for delivery.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

There is a lot of thread topic on this subject matter and as a matter of fact it's your choice and if you have that type of money to spend too. To be perfectly honest you can't go wrong with self study i.e. buy the books and one to two computers to practice the hands on aspect on.

That's a lot of money, to spend on just getting a cert also bear in mind that employers are more keen on experience at the end of the day. Best wishes and hope you make the right choice:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. mickaveli2001

Thanks for the help guys. on the pink barclays slip It doesn't have my student reference number on the pink sheet. It does have (for retailers use only) retailers name, which is skilltrain, the retailer number, reference number, and also has a reference number along the bottom in the direct debit section with the card details along side it.

On the skill trains slip it does have what course I selected, as well as a 'prefix' code and acceptance code on the top right corner. Which one or two, or however many would I need to put on the letter? I have 7 days from signing to get it done lol, very short time indeed, so I'm going to have to get this done at some point today.

I am a complete newbie to both this site, and learning this stuff, I am currently self studying A+, due to information from this site, and even told the guy I was confident enough in doing the A+ & N+ myself through self study alone, and may go to a training adviser on the Microsoft cert for the materials, and examination re-sit comfort, and that it would be the Microsoft one I'd prefer on doing with a training company. I've been reading the Mike Meyers AOI guide, and want to have a thorough understanding of everything in it, and believe I could do it without skilltrain, however I got put into the whole 3 courses, with around 36-42 months to complete.

A thing which struck me as odd, when I was getting shown through the items I was receiving, when the guy pulled out the CD-Rom, he said there was questions on there, and told me it's ideal to go through some of the questions on the CD-ROM, and just revert to this guide (which was a ring-binded section 1, part A, A+ booklet) should I have any trouble on some of the questions. Don't get me wrong I see the value in this, and being able to strengthin any weak points, but shouldn't these questions be done last? like in the AOI guide it has end of review chapter questions - not start of review chapter questions lol

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ok, first off, do what others have said and get a letter off by Recorded Delivery pronto. If you can't find any reference numbers then send photocopies of documentation you do have.

As to use of questions - people study in different ways and whilst this forum is aimed at helping people self-study, some people may find they haven't the self-discipline for that or respond better in a classroom environment. Each to their own, horses for courses as they say. Some may need to read a book thru and make notes, others can skim material and sue questions to provoke their thought processes. If you have experience you may feel that you can skip over some areas. We are all different. Do what is "right" for you :biggrin

Hope you get things sorted. Might also be an idea to phone them to say you're sending written notice of cancellation. Get the name of the person you speak to so it's all on record but don't delay getting the letter off. There are different cancellation periods depending on how the product was sold.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Personally I would send the letter by special delivery, as recorded delivery is exactly the same as normal mail expect it requires a signature at the other end. So it is treated in the same way as any other 1st class mail with that one exception. With special delivery you can specify times you want the letter delivered by, Much safer in my opinion.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. mickaveli2001

I signed it last night. If I get it sent by recorded delivery tomorrow, would that be alright time for them to cancel it? I've looked at it, and it's Barclays I'm sending this to. I just hope the initial £75 doesn't come off though, will their be anyway to stop this from going through?

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What Dales said, send it Special, not recorded. Shouldn't cost too much extra, couple of quid at the most.

As for stopping the payment, depends on how you signed up for it. If it's a direct debit, you should be able to speak to your bank and get them to put a block on the payment. You may even be able to do it online with your bank (but possibly not if no payments have gone out yet).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yes, sorry, when I said Recorded I meant Special Delivery.

Alos, phone the TP and inform them too and get a note of the name of the person you speak to. Barclays are just the finance people, you should inform the training provider too.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. mickaveli2001

Got it all written, need to look out bus timetables (first time in years) as my car is at my work :( was sent home sick yesterday, so now I've travel about via bus. :cry:

It says that if cancellation is accepted, the college will retain a £45.00 charge to cover its administration costs and expenses. Think I will phone up the bank and see if they can block them from taking this from my account

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They will probably take the £45 whatever you do. I would phone them and cancel it too and tell them you have sent the letter, also phone them to make sure when they have received the letter too as some of these place can use stalling tactics to get you onto the their course and also make you pay.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. mickaveli2001

Well I sent 2 letters. One to skilltrain (1st class), and another to Barclays Finance (special delivery - cost £4.60 :eek: ) both had photocopied documentation in there as well. So hopefully that's it. Would I need to phone up "Skilltrain" and try to stop them from taking £45 out?? I phoned up the bank, but they can't put a block on it

I would advise all who have training advisers (IE: Training Salesman) at your door to tell them initially that you wont be making a prompt decision today, that you don't make financial decisions quickly, and you'll need a few days to look over your own finances, and timescales, and see how it would fit in - at least they wont be ramming a document for you to sign to enroll, and hopefully just talk over the course content and everything else for the 2 hours they're in your house

This month, Virgin bill was £121 (usually £70-80) £30-40 difference, I know that wouldn't mean much for you senior members and qualified people, but an extra £30-40 makes all the difference in a months wage to me, and maybe people starting out, and £75 coming off every month for 42 months for a course(s) is a huge commitment. Right now, there's enough things out on finance (car, house furniture, and cooker/washing machine as well as loan) and until you are in a financially calm situation, then I would not recommend this to anyone. It doesn't matter either about how nice they are, and how good they present the material - They're salespeople and 2 hours is enough to talk you into believing the sky is green if they said so, but remain vigilant, and constantly re-introduce the fact that you will not be signing anything today, or you'll wind up like me running around like an idiot writing letters, paying money to send special delivery, and phoning places up, which all in all adds in increased phonebills, postage costs, travel fee's, which can dent your pocket if you have a house and a little one to take care of, if I simply said the above yesterday

14. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I hope it's now sorted out for you.

The question that no one seems to have asked though - Why did you sign up in the first place?

By going through and reading these forums you'll see how many Do not use training providers posts there are.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread7338.html - Five Questions To Ask A Technical Training School -- BEFORE Signing Up
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread2756.html - Training Providers and Companies - please read.
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread21908.html
    - Studying with Training Providers

What possessed you?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. mickaveli2001

I've just read that. I guess I'm easily influenced especially when they have 2 hours to talk you into it. I even done a test to see what I'd score out of 20. I scored 16, and was told I needed 14 or above to enroll in the course. Even if I scored 8 I would probably have been given the course

16. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Nevermind - you live and learn I suppose.

Hope you've got it sorted now anyway. :) Let us know how you get on.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  17. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You live and learn I guess, thats why its called pressure sales !

Do you want a free holiday? Perhaps I could interest Sir in this timeshare....:D

18. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

No offence or pun intended but hey! I work hard for my £££:) and ain't no one can sweet talk me into buying into something with that hard earn cash be it one or two hours. I'd put my head down and say I messed up, but not to worry quickly sort this out as others have kindly and helpfully advised.

Lastly, phone them and confirm you're sending them a letter through specially delivery. Best wishes and don't get too bugged down by it just try and sort it as soon as now.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

To be honest, if you can write your own name they would have let you in matey. :) They are in it for the money, very little else.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I doubt you would even have to score 8, as long as you said yes then thats good enough for them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?