70-680 duration

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by shadowwebs, Nov 28, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

How long has it taken you on average to get through the 70-680 course material to be exam ready?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I started in August and took the exam at the beginning of Dec last year - but this was the 682 upgrade exam which incorporated both the 680 & 685.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. shadowwebs

thank you, i am hoping to get through the content of the exam using the professor messer videos within the month of December, i leave my current job on December 20th, and I wont be starting my new job until the start of January so this should hopefully give me enough time to at least do the studying and then schedule the exam in at the start of 2013

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yep, seems reasonable enough.

I probably should have said that I was studying 45-60mins per night with longer on weekends if needed and, although I can't quite remember the date in Aug I started studying, I had finished the 680 part by the end of Sept. Leaving me Oct and half of Nov for the 685 and 3 weeks at the end to take practice tests and re-study any info that had not quite 'stuck'

Good luck with it!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

I spent 9 weeks prepping for the 680. I also put a lot of time into it. I say if you feel like you know the material then you will be fine whenever you take it.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  6. shadowwebs

I am using Professor Messer and so far have completed 2 of the 8 sections and feel happy with what I have covered... not taking the sections in the order they are set out as I am working out the areas that I am more comfortable with first and then covering the harder sections later.

Not had much available time which is why only 2 of the 8 have been covered, hoping over the weekend to cover a bit more but I am sure the Mrs will have something to say about that

7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

All depends on your experience, think it took me around 2 months.

Certifications: A few.
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually a couple of weeks but have been using Desktop OS's for years and having come from a Windows Deployment background had it easier because I already knew about the WDS\MDT\SCCM\SCOM side of things.

I find that the desktop OS exams have always been easy (Windows NT4 Exam, Windows 95, XP and Windows 7 exams have all been relatively quick as far as study time was concerned, Server exams were harder).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. shadowwebs

I have been watching some of the videos today on professor messer and the powershell / winrs side of things have really confused me, but i can always come back to that at another time at least.

Time for a break and then back to it later I think with the Section 5 : Resource Access which I feel I should be fine with other than learning BranchCache which I don't yet know.

10. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Remember that anything you don't understand technet has great resources on it.

Look up winrs and winrm and branchcache and you will learn a lot.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  11. shadowwebs

So much information to remember, not sure if my brain can take it all. I have already managed to type up 21 pages of notes in word across the 29 videos I have covered

12. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

I know what you mean..
    I'm currently going through 70-680 and am only up to chapter 5 in don poultons book and already have about 10 pages.

Not watched any of the videos yet, but have downloaded them all :s

Got until April to knock this one out

WIP: 70-680
  13. shadowwebs

Jamin, let me know if you need any help with any of the subjects

14. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

The only thing I need help with us getting my butt into gear lol ...

15. shadowwebs

do you by any chance own a games console, and a lot of games on your PC which is causing you too many distractions?

16. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Lol nope
    I do however have 3 children which seem to take up a lot of time...

But I do get quite a bit of downtime at work so could/should be doing it then...

I reckon I could get at least 2 hours a day done in work time!

17. shadowwebs

are you currently working in IT?

18. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Yes, I'm a network manager and have just moved my 180 clients to windows 7

19. shadowwebs

Did you do it through WDS?

20. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Yes, created 2 images (for different installs) then packaged the image with drivers from driverpacks.net so that when the machine was imaged it would detect what drivers it needed and then install them.

Worked well on 175 of the 180 machines I have, and there is probably 20 different makes and models thrown in with that lot.

Only thing I had to do on each machine is give it a name and then it joined the domain automatically