NTL/RAM clash?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Sep 3, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I was wondering if anyone was having this problem...you have to have used NTL cable broadband and with less than 256MB RAM regardless of other stuff....but anything relating would be nice....basically ...I installed one stick of 256MB RAM for Lou's mum (its PC2100 but that aint the problem) and I remember noticing that after I installed her modem and got her connected to the internet it displayed a message saying your memory may not be enough to fully utilise the service for things like video and audio...altho the memory is 256 it shares 32 of that with the on board graphics..so it was using a total of 224MB RAM...can anyone relate to this? thanks...oh and also would the fact that lack of regular windows update may also cause this? thanks again..

Here's the full spec:

MSI KM2M Combo-L SKT A KM266 MATX DDR/SDR Video/Sound/lAN & USB 2.0 Motherboard Retail Box
    Deluxworld M80112 4-1 Window Case Keyboard Mouse Speakers
    Samsung 52x Internal IDE CD-ROM Drive (Black) - OEM
    Alps Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB 3.5 inch internal - OEM
    Epson Stylus Cx3200 14ppm - Print Scan Copy Uk
    Ebuyer 256MB DDR266 PC2100 Extra Value RAM
    Microsoft XP Home With Service Pack 1A OEM
    Belkin 6-Way Economy Surge Protector, 1m Cable
    AMD Athlon XP2200 266FSB 256Cache Retail Boxed Inc Heatsink & Fan with 3year Warranty
    Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 40Gb ATA 133 7200rpm Disk Drive - OEM
    ADI Microscan V57 15ins CRT 0.28dpi 1280x1024

there yuo have it guys...thanks for your future advice/replies...:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

is it actually causing a problem?
    it could just be a warning saying dont try and stream HDTV with that much ram, lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

no seriously Phoenix...it has been causing her all sorts of problems...she got a different logon screen for windows (similar to W2K and NT) and no Fergal its not to do with MSI at all), also she was having problems displaying web pages...she was given WinMX from her brother and she was in the middle of downloading 5 songs at a time when half an hour later the PC just crashed...so God knows what it is....she's already had the PC wiped out and reinstalled by a PC tech in her town of Grimsby but now its playing up again....

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

um, i really think thats unrelated to be honest
    sorry mate
    her cable modem giving her a memory warning has nothing to do with her machine crashing and her windows login prompt
    shouldnt cause a problem for web browsing, but that too could be an unrelated problemo
    have a bit more of a look into it and post your findings when you can

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well Im going to Grimsby for a few days this weekend so I am going to do a full check over of the system...like I said it could be anything but my mind was pointing towards the memory cos of that message I saw when I put it together back in May this year...but also what about Windows updates? she says she was doing them but remember she has never used a PC before in her life...so far as I know :rolleyes:

6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

This is because someone selected the screen to look like that by pressing ctrl + alt + delete at the logon screen. to get it back to "normal" just press ctrl + alt + delete at the logon screen

Otherwise, try thing's like scandisk ect, to see if there is a problem with the HD. Reseat the RAM, have a look inside and see if anything looks funny. Just trouble shoot like your taught in the A+!!!!

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

cheers Punkyboy I just might do that...in fact I'll take me 900 page A+ study guide book with me....I just hope she has bought the Dummies guide to XP aswell...cos damn she needs that!!!

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I know the latwest AOL software does have a 128 Meg RAM min spec for broadband, but 256 should be way enough for any basic apps.

Sorry I cant think of any more at the mo, but I'll let you know if I hear of anything...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I use NTL and only have 256 MB Ram in my amchine and it too shares it 32 meg with the video and I am running fine.

Sorry I could'nt be more help, best advice i can give is just echo what punkyboy said and do some trouble shooting. Do you have another 256 stick you could take down and try instead?

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Same as Nelix. I'm on NTL, 256 RAM but not sharing with the video. Even tho i have used NTL BB with only 128 with no problems, so I guess its back to the books m8.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well thank you guys...your help has been appreciated...when I arrive in Grimsby (which by the time you're all reading this I am on the way or already there) I will do a full thorough check and then monitor the progress for the next few days I am down there...Nelix I dont have an extra 256 stick so I will have to buy on while I am down there which shouldnt be a problem....as I said I am taking my A+ book with me just in case...always helps to be safe than sorry eh guys...thanks again and I will speak to u all when I get back from my trip...

12. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

wierd stuff

:eek:

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
    WIP: MCSE
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok here's the update...I checked the PC and it was having all sorts of problems...I formatted the HDD and reinstalled Win XP but it stalled almost halfway thru installation coming up with it cant copy *.dll files...so I formatted and reinstalled and the same thing happened except this time it was different to *.dll files...even when I pressed skip file it would come up with an dark blue screen (no not BSOD) but similar to this and was referring to BIOS memory and at the end of the message was a series of numbers something like 0x0000000001, 0x0000000005, etc. I then knew this had to be a hardware problem and not software related so I asked myself what could it be? I rang up a mate of mine who is in the business and i told him the problems and symptoms I had come across...he said he had encountered something like this and it turns out lou's mum was sent a virus to her system that caused all these problems...the thing is the only time the virus came in was during music downloads using Win MX and it happened on both occasions. so we both then agreed that it was a hardware problem but he was trying to get me to buy the hardware off him!! now I thought yeah yeah yeah I will think about it and see what Kate (lou's mum) says. in the end I ended buying a new mobo and HDD as I thought maybe these were more affected. so the parts arrived and I started all over...just when I thought it was safe to close the case...the darn thing happened again :cussing at this point I looked closer at the numbers at the end of the error messages: 0x000000001....was it somehow related to memory? I kept thinking it over and over in me head...the next day I went out and bought a PC2700 256MB RAM and also reserved a Athlon 2000XP CPU just in case...got the memory and installed it and I sat there.............YES!!! it finally installed XP with no stops or problems...so it turns out the memory was a gonner. her system is now fully updated with all virus definitions and SP2 and she is now a happy woman and I am a happy man as I feel better for realising it was the memory even tho it took me about 4 days to come to come to that conclusion. so I now have the old mobo and HDD as we couldnt get our money back on them since they were purchased back in Feb this year. PHEW!!! talk about head rush!!!