CV for scrutiny

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, May 9, 2012.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So, i dont seem to be getting anywhere with an IT job, although i am applying. A lot of firms use application forms with the use of a CV only as supplementary evidence.

I was wondering if you guys would give me some feedback on a cover letter and my actual CV, as it would be better if someone looked at it through the eyes of an IT person, rather than just some random bloke etc.

Feel free to go to town on it, i know its not perfect, but i do want to make it stand out as im going to upload it to all the job sites and ill then use it as a base to start with etc.

Ive taken the names of schools and places of work out for obvious reasons

Thanks

Ed

Attached Files:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Oh man, it's awful, sorry to say. It looks like an essay - I almost didnt even bother looking at it, and just moving on from this thread. If I'm doing that here - there isnt a hope in hell of an employer giving it more than a seconds glance.

I'm going to ignore the cover letter entirely for now. I think it's important to get the CV right before you even consider the cover letter (especially since Agencies wont use the cover letter by and large).

First, you are missing a header section right at the top of the CV detailing your Name, contact details, etc.

Next up, you need to make some use of bold to highlight information.

Each of your sections is a jumbled mess.

Education and Training (note the capital T on Training? its a header, the important words should be capitalised).

2011 to present day looks like a long sentence. I dont care that you are actively seeking work, drop it. In fact, I would take out the date, and list this (in bold) as "Current Study", with a bulleted list of the certifications you are working towards.

2006 - 2011 Computing and Information Systems. Thats nice. what is this? a degree? a certification? where did you study it? what qualification did you get at the end of it? In fact, this is endemic across all of your Education section. I want to know where you studied, when, and a bulleted list of what you got from it.

School 1987-1991 BTW, I was an idiot at school so I didn’t get any GCSE’s - I *really* hope this is a meta comment for CF, if it's not, this is one of the single worst comments I have ever seen in a CV. Remove it.

Experience Gained

I dont care. I dont want to read your life story, I want to see a concise and bulleted list of what you have achieved. Lose this section entirely. If you want to include voluntary experience (and you should, since you lack any real experience), include it in your Employment history as a distinct entry (Mark it as voluntary in the Job Title, e.g. "Rollout Technician (Voluntary)").

Additional Information (again the Capital I)
    I don't care. I personally dont think this kind of thing has any place in a CV. If the employer wants to know your hobbies, they can ask at interview. A CV is for showcasing your abilities, not showing how personable you are. There are some differing opinions on this - some people disagree with me, so it's up to you I suppose. I wouldn't though.

Career History
    The layout here needs a lot of work. The dates need to be bolded (and include the months, not just the year.) Provide a consistent layout for Period, Employer, and Job Title. Bold up the Employer and Period. (Generally, I have employer on the left, period on the far right on the same line (both bolded), then the job title in italics underneath).

Provide a bulleted list of responsibilities at each employer. So you were a Fibreglass Technician (notice the capitalisation again), big whoop! I want to know what you did there. What were your responsibilities? I need to know this so that I can judge if any of those responsibilities might be able to translate onto the job I have open.

Lose the "Actively Seeking Work" - I don't care. I care only about what you have actually been doing. and what experience you have gained.

References
    Lose this entirely, it's expected that you will provide references on request. you dont need to waste space stating it.

Layout
    Layout is one of the most important things on the CV (below content, obviously). If you get the layout wrong, the CV will go straight in the bin.

Here is an example of my CV (slightly out of date, but the key points are still visible). View attachment Resume - CertForums.doc

Last edited: May 9, 2012
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Fergal1982

Also, I despise First Person on a CV. Again opinions differ, but IMO First Person should only exist in the personal profile (and cover letter if it is included), and even then you can clearly see that I don't like it and would rather avoid it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. zxspectrum

Hey Fergal

The first part of that is a cover letter, and then the next page is the CV, ive done it like that because some companies have requested that, and also believe it or not, i was given that advice by my University, they have a department for helping students write a CV lol. All the other stuff like contact details and schools were just because i was posting it on here. The bit about me being an idiot in school, would not be put on at all, i was in case people would say that id missed it out.

As for the feedback, i love it, honest and straight to the point which is what i needed, so thanks for that, i will update and produce a better CV and use the points you have made.

Thanks

Ed

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You have been given some bad advice mate – that CV aint good! :)

The annoying thing is that you have some good skills (I read your CV because it is on CF – would not go near it if it was put on my desk at work) but your CV isnt highlighting them.

Update your CV mate and post it here again.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zxspectrum

So Ive had a go and lets see what you think, personally i can see its a lot better that what i had, though i may need some tweaks

Cheers for the feedback so far

Attached Files:

7. Fergal1982

That looks a lot better than before. Here are my comments so far.

Consider bolding up the Section Headers (in addition to underlining). It will make it more noticeable.

Be careful that you don't group up items that have no real reason to be grouped. I wouldn't consider these three items to be part of a single group of skills. (also, I believe it's "VMWare")

You missed the word "working".

Even when the period is in the same year, specify the year on both parts of the period (that, or change the month portions to text rather than numbers).

Employment history is better. There are a couple that could be written as multiple bullets:

This would be better as simple "BSc Computing and Information Systems"

If you gained no qualifications from the three schools you were at, then I would probably just leave it off. Putting them on makes it painfully obvious you achieved no qualifications, but plenty of people leave it off when they achieve higher level of qualification (such as a degree). Keep the College on though.

I'd probably place your education section above your work experience and voluntary experience. Your work experience has very little to do with IT, and whilst it should be on the CV (and can still help), you want to place much greater emphasis on the degree that you achieved. If it's below your work history, they might bin you before they get that far.

Other than that, it definitely looks much better than before. One thing you can do when submitting your CV, is to bold up keywords that match the job criteria. I've never done it, but I've seen advice for that - in order to better highlight to the employer that you have the skills - just dont go overboard with it.

8. zxspectrum

Brilliant. I will do that.

Thanks Fergal, and you too Sparky.

Ed

9. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

Not a criticism as such, but under technical skills you've listed WDS as "Windows Deployment Serve"

Be consistent with your usage of "PC", in your CV you refer to it as "PC" "pc" and I believe "Pc"

"Liaising teachers and pupils" should probably be ..Liasing with...