Zonealarm & Vista Problems?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimoftheC, Feb 9, 2009.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

OK, this information is a bit secondhand but a work colleague has approached me and said he has a problem with a recent update to Zonealarm which he has installed on his Vista machine. He says that he updated it at the weekend and now he is receiving a message about Truevector having a problem and that the firewall refuses to start. He says that he has tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but it didn't work and neither did a system restore, although he admits he has had a problem with that for some time. My advice to him so far is to uninstall Zonealarm in safemode and then to try re-installing it again.

He also adds that a friend of his has had a similar problem.

Now, I've googled this and even checked the Zonealarm (checkpoint) forums and I cannot see anybody else reporting the same issue. My question then to the Community is, has anybody else had the same or a similar problem with a Zonealarm update whilst running Vista recently?

As a bit of a side point - can anyone recommend a different firewall that is compatible with Vista. This was something I looked at about six months ago for a friends laptop and I recall that there was limited options at that time. In fact I remember the conses on some forums was that as long as you were behind a router(ed) firewall, the software firewall included with Vista was sufficient protection.

Tim.C

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I use ZoneAlarm with Vista and have no issues whatsoever. In fact, I've just checked to make sure I have the latest ZA update, and I do.

I wonder if it may be being caused by something else he and his friend may have installed on their machines?

3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

While i dont have Vista i did have a problem recently with a Zonealarm Update on XP.

On my son's PC i had just upgraded his mobo and cpu, but did not do a windows reinstall, it just updated the required drivers. Soon after i had an update from Zonealarm. That installed fine, or so it seemed. When he tried to access his Steam account it kept telling him there was no internet conenction. So thinking the ZA update had set his connection to not availabe i tried to open it. However in teh system tray ZA was saying it was still initialising. After half hour of this it still hadnt started. SO i tried turning it off. TrueVector would not close, and i couldnt unintall from control panel.

In the end i had to boot to safe mode, uinstall there then reboot and download again from thier web site. Now it all seems fine again.

I suspect something worng if updating an existing install under very specific conditions.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I don't run a software firewall - never have. I've never (and I do mean never) had a virus, trojan or worm. With a decent NAT router and common sense browsing/email use there's no need for a software firewall.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have my Router Firewall and AVG Free running on Vista.

Never had any infections or any issues.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I self infected my machine with every virus there was. Nobody gets one over me! :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  7. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

ok, thanx for the responses guys - will pass it all on (as my own :twisted:) to the person with the problem.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I use ESET smart security never had an infection yet, Eset blocks everything so the only way you can be infected is to allow a virus in.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Same as BruceLee, used ESET since I was given it at work- very nice security suite all in all :)

10. John Neerdael

John Neerdael Nibble Poster

Myself have never had a security suite untill recently when my system got infected by a obnoxious malware program that couldnt get removed by my free antivirus or any free antispyware software. Now I'm running Norton Internet Security 2009 which is great imo!!! I'm no gamer so I can handle the slowdown (not that I notice any). For Malware I now also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, its a commercial program but I can highly recommend it.

WIP: MCTS: 70-640
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I couldnt agree more ^^

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Although I do rate NOD it doesnt stop everything, no AV package does.

The fact is if users browse to dodgey websites and click on imavirus.exe then its time for a rebuild. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs