Problem .zip back files

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Jul 1, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hey gents,

I have a maintainance plan for SQL server to create a new backup every hour, I need to zip them up hourly and then FTP them to another site.

Does anyone have any ideas of software? or instructions to get it done?

cheers guys.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. westernkings

Or even just a batch file that will zip up files modified in the last 2 hours.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would check to see how much compression you're going to get for those BAK files because my understanding was that they were already compressed, you may just want to set up a RichCopy or Robocopy job to move them.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Cheap and cheerful SqlBackupAndFTP, the pro version will do AES Zip files encryption and FTPS if you need an extra layer

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. westernkings

They go down from 3GB to about 400MB after being zipped.

That program is all right, but it took half an hour just to back up and zip 6MB of Database, SQL maintainance plan backs up every data base in about 10 minutes.

So I need alternatives. Can 7zip command line be set up to zip up only newly created files or files created within the last hour?

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Thats odd, our DB backups are much bigger than that (4 in total range from 21-39 MB) and are all backed up, zipped, and move the network share ever hour with that program, notice the timestamp are still on the hour thus <1m

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  7. westernkings

what settings are you using for compression etc? and are you connecting locally or remotely?

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Level 5 and it runs local on the MS SQL server and no encryption

9. westernkings

Is this safe to use on Live Databases mate?

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm a couple of version behind the current, I use 3.4.3.35249 and it works perfectly well on our live 30 user system, do you have remote access for out of hours? If so I would suggest making a normal backup of you DB server out of hours via SQL SMS and then run the SqlBackupAndFTP backup and see how you get on, our DB server isn't anything special garbage ram, cpu, and a crappy p400 with 6 15k SAS drives and I've never had a problem with this program.

Just to prove it I will show you a video of me doing on our live setup and PM you the link :D

11. westernkings

Ok guys,

still having trouble, the SQLFTP software above only does full backups, which still means I can't FTP them up fast enough.

I need to be able to back up the SQL databases, and ship them to another server via FTP, in a short a time as possible. If I could get a bit of software like the one above that does incremental that would be great. Other than that, I am out of ideas. I've heard log shipping but don't understand or even know what it is, how it works, or what it does.

12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Log shipping is when the logs from one server are shipped to other server and replayed there so the databases are the same. Means you would need a second server at the remote location to hold the copy of the database.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  13. westernkings

We do have another SQL server set up, an exact copy.

14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Which version of SQL Server do you use?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  15. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

You could contact them and see if that feature can be added, can't see it being that hard.