Zimbooooo....

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Luddym, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

hey Zimbo,

Hows your study for your 70-290 going man? You geting close to taking the exam?

I've recently finished the Learnkey 70-290 course, and have just picked up the MSpress book, which I'm finding sooo much more intense. I think what I find particularly daunting is the way it seems to describe everything in great detail. So much that a fairly simple concept gets complicated. But I digress . . .

Hows it coming along Zimbo? :D

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

its good.. end of april (no exact day yet!!!) yeah MS press is a little daunting... im using two referance books and they help alot: Server 2003 inside out and Mastering Active Directory.

the mastering book helped when i couldnt understand nothing from either ms press book concerning domain local, global and universal groups as they didnt make heads or tails with so much info.. also the permissions are a little hard to swollow if you didnt understand them 100% from 270 so im making sure i nail the NTFS ones this time once and for all! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I definately know what you mean about NTFS permissions. :)

What flummoxed me is grope scope . . . or at least the way Learnkey described it, not got to it on the MSPress yet.

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

How are you getting on with your 290 studying Luddym? I am almost through the Learnkey course myself. (also I know what you mean about group scope, nasty subject :) )

I just got the Inside Active Directory Second Edition. Will start to go through that. I may skim any bits that are too heavy duty and are beyond the scope of the 290 exam.

I guess my next step is to start doing exam sims. Trancender will be my primary one I think. I have access to a couple of others, but there is only so many MS style scenario's I can take before I'd go nutso and start a killing spree. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hey guys! Looks like the database crash took all my threads away.. i passed 290 on April 28th with 805! Ill have to get round to writing my review again sometime tonight for you guys.

good luck to both of you! :biggrin

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I knew you had passed Zimbo (congrarulations btw). I'd appreciate the write up etc... I know they pick questions from a large pool, but every little helps. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Modey,

I'm stuck with my 70-290 training. I've tried over and over to read the Microsoft press book, but everytime I pick it up I just feel itchy. (Thankfully neither it nor I have fleas.) I had the same thing with the 70-270, and I only managed to snap out of it when I booked the exam.

I've set up my lab, and fiddle about with it, but as far as studying goes, I have hit a wall. I do intend to take the exam before Microsofts 2nd shot offers expires though, so that gives me about 7 weeks.

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I have a theory use exam vendors books for exam vendors exams! MS press's 290 is okay... i just i wish MS wouldnt put in questions from out of space...

posted the review for you guys to look at...

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

When I studied for the N+ I used the MS press book (as part of an MCSA pack) as a reference guide for questions that I didn't understand very well, or to brush up on specific areas that I was weak on. It worked well for that purpose.

So I ordered the MS Press 70-270 book and promptly broke both wrists just lifting it out of it's packaging? How big !!*!*!*!*??? I think sometimes the size of books like this can be quite off putting. To be honest, I only dipped into the 270 book a tiny bit, I couldn't face the thing.

In the end I sat a couple of the practice exams that came on the cd in the book, and also sat three trancender exam sims, and that was enough in the end.

Decided not to bother with the MS Press book for the 290 as my wrists are still recovering* from the 270.

*that's my story about how my wrist got sore and I'm sticking to it!!

Anyway Ludd, if you can get hold of the Transcender for the 290 do so. I have found them great on the A+, N+ & 270 and I'm hoping they will be as useful on the 290.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so what guide are you using? i heard syngress is pretty good.. btw the 290 is much much lighter on the wrists from ms press...