Zenos Vs College

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Matt!, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Matt!

Matt! New Member

HI guys just your thoughts on the below.

I went to an zenos open day and was impressed, however i know there trying to sell you the course but its a 5 month course offering MCDST, compita + & IT advanced apprenticeship. however after reading peoples feedback about zenos the reviews havent been very good, people are saying that students arent willing to learn and that the course is VERY basic. i was just wondering peoples thoughts on zenos?

my second option is college which would offer me a BTEC national diploma in IT practitioner and the course is 2 years of length. and im quite happy to put time aside to study MCDST and compita + from home.

im looking to get into IT support but looking at this college option it shows you various sectors of IT from support to programming to graphics opening the doors to uni or work.

Im stuck as to what to do? any ideas

thanks, Matt!

2. sameoldsong09

sameoldsong09 New Member

I hated Zenos, but if they were doing the £100 a week thing when I was enrolled, I might have enjoyed it better. The problem is, you come out of it with the qualifications and you're apparently a certified IT "professional" at the end of it, but you certainly don't feel like it and you won't get employed anywhere except crappy call centres.

And even though I felt confident at the time, I've forgotten at least 80% of everything I learned. The workload is huge but everything is just glanced over. You're doing writeups of things you haven't actually done, as if you've done them and the only purpose it serves is a free way to gain qualifications without actually mastering the content.

The pass rate is only so high because if you're not good enough, they either don't let you take the exams or they find a way to kick you out. I expected to fly out of the doors straight into a 16k minimum job, but I'm unemployed and I left months ago.

Teach yourself at your own pace and don't go somewhere where you have to have at least five coffees a day just to stay awake through the endless PowerPoints and come out of it knowing nothing about the industry and its expectations.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (601 + 602)
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ and others
  3. sameoldsong09

sameoldsong09 New Member

Actually, it is worth it purely for the £100 a week and because you get the quals for free instead of spending hundreds of pounds on the exams and resources. Just make sure you're ready for possibly the most depressing 22 weeks of your life. Good luck.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (601 + 602)
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ and others
  4. Matt!

Matt! New Member

Thanks!, just gotta have a look round college and get a look into things and the course.