Zenos Course

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Queeg, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

Has anyone heard of Zenos Academy? In England you take this course for 5 months and you get IC3, A+, N+ and MCDST certified. It's all free too so it might be worth considering if you want a career in IT. Any thoughts on this?

Certifications: MCTS, MCDST, A+, Network+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

This appears to be only free for a very narrow age range of 16 to 18. And notice that say 'may be fully funded', implying that it may not be!

It isn't clear how they make up the funding.

Edit: Also their web-site doesn't claim that A+ is included.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums…
    I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume most people between the ages of 16 – 18 don’t have much experience. Seems like a lot of ground to cover in 5-months for inexperienced folks. :blink

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think this is a similar thing to what Becki is doing, its only open to young adults and kids.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

It's definately fully funded, they even give you money for travelling. I graduate this friday and I have my MCDST, A+, N+ & IC3 :). Now I'm trying to get a job in first line support (although tricky since I have no commercial experience). In my Academy there was only one good lecturer and so far there have only been 6 passes in both the 271 & 272 exams (about 50 people in the whole academy).

In other words, if you don't pick it up quickly you're left behind. It's a really nice place though and I have friends who also are going into IT but they are going to University. Would any of you have any opinions whether it's better to get your MCP's or go to University?

6. greenbrucelee

Its upto wether you go to Uni, I did but personally I believe if certs had been around in the UK at the time and I knew about them I would had done certs and got a job. I would have then maybe done a part time degree or something later on.

Uni is great if it actually works for you and you get a job at then but not everyone is lucky enough, the only thing that is certain at uni is you will get into lots of debt.

7. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

Yes precisely! Why take out a massive loan in the hope that somewhere down the line you will fortunately get a good job that you like. My plan is to get an entry level IT job and then stick with it and take more exams. My Dad says that I should wait and try to get a job close to home for the shortest commute. However, I'm worried that if I don't grab the first job opportunity there may not be a next one. I've had many calls from agencies and such but no actual job interviews, also because I'm only 18 and only have had one previous job I think thats off-putting as well. Is it a long shot to land your first IT job?

8. greenbrucelee

It could a long time for you to get into IT, I left uni in 99 thinking I would walk into a job that was well paid, I had massive debts but thought no problem there really. How wrong I was, I never got the IT job just a load of debt which I am almost finished paying.

I had to settle for any job I got just to pay of my debts and have a steady income, so I gave up on IT untill about 11 months ago when I realised my debts were almost done

9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Now call me a cynic but i get the feeling that Queeg is spamming on behalf of the Zenos Academy?
    Post 1 @ 1422 ask's if we have heard of the company?
    Post 5 @ 1555 and we find that Queeg is about to graduate from said company?
    Post 7 @ 1615 and we get told all the great things of said company!

Sorry but i think i can smell spam!!!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  10. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

I never gave the details of the Academy, I also implyed that the teaching wasn't very good. I can delete the thread if you want, If theres no one else from Zenos here then it's redundant anyway...

11. Narella

Narella New Member

I've just finished my studying period at the Zenos Academy in Wokingham. It was an enjoyable experience and I'm glad I went there. I managed to achieve IC3, A+ Technician (sadly not the full, but planning to do that at a later date) and MCDST. Eventually I will get around to do Network+ as well.

It was hard work, and there were times when I felt like giving up, however I'm glad I didn't. I also met a nice bunch of people there :)

Edit: I was 19 when I joined, and there were people who were 20/21 there too. We were all fully funded.

Certifications: A+ Technician, MCDST
    WIP: A+ Electives, Network+, MCSA
  12. fleccy

fleccy New Member

I went to Zenos in Warrington. It was good... until the end when we all wanted to rip each others heads off because we had enough.

It's very intense, managed to achieve everything first time pretty easily though...

Only problem now is getting a job. The chances are low... so I think I pretty much wasted my time in considering everyyyyy place wants experience. I'll most likely just have to keep trying - but it's not like we get much help in getting a job either.

Oh and for everyones info... Zenos is dropping most of the qualifications on the course so i've heard. Such as Network+ and people won't be able to get their MCSA with Zenos anymore.

Certifications: IC3, A+, Network+, ADITP, NVQ L3, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  13. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

I went to the one in Wokingham too. I can't find a job either, been applying to places for weeks and only got one interview (and they didn't even have the consideration to ring back at all). Are there any entry level IT jobs out there that don't involve first line support?....

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Would you expect them to put you into second-line support, or perhaps, straight into network administration? :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

On the note of zenos - my company sends a couple of people on them every so often - I havent heard any details but nor have I heard anyone complain about them

Way off topic on this one but this is incorrect in my opinion:
    1) it works for you if you pass the course, getting a job and having a qualification are 2 very independent things. As an aside, having a degree/qualification from higher education doesnt guarantee anyone a job, it just makes them more employable (generally) and may give them a greater chance of climbing higher (again, generally)
    2) there is no certainty of debt - I'm not and I spent 5 years at uni (left in 2004, debt free)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  16. Stig

Stig Bit Poster

In case anyone is wondering how Zenos offer these courses for free: it is an apprentice/work-based-training scheme, so they get lots of government funding.

I'm surpised to hear that fleccy couldn't get a job. I thought Zenos more or less promised people they'd get a placement!

Certifications: ACA MCP MCSA MCSE MCTS MCITP MCAS MCT
    WIP: MCAP
  17. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

Yup it was the same as i was doing,

I got all my certs, got a gr8 job as a Desktop Support Engineer

But i wish people would stop spamming i only metioned it as an intro and whether any1 heard about it

BTW i went to Birmingham one

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  18. simba7

simba7 New Member

Hi Becky I've applied to Zenos Academy in Birmingham. Ive yet to have my interview. What is it like? Is there any chance of not getting in? What questions do they ask.

19. wakky geek

wakky geek New Member

Hi, I have had an interview for the zenos academy and got in. Its nothing hard really and they just ask simple questions. U will also have to take a numracy reasoning test (20 questions).

They guy interviewing me said that it is a very intense course but by the end of it, its worth it-coming out with CompTIA A+, Network A+, MDST and some other qualifications. He also said that over 80% of graduates get a job in IT within 3 months of finishing the course, whereas ppl studying IT at college-less than 30% of students get a job in IT within 3 YEARS! (nt sure if its 100% true though LOL)

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Of course it's not true... it's a bunch of sales talk designed to get you to put down insane amounts of money on a training course you don't need and certifications that aren't relevant to your experience level. But... they're not gonna tell you that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!