Zavvi in administration

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UKDarkstar, Dec 24, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Suggest you don't place any website orders

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6386153.stm

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

cheap cd's and dvd's anyone! got a zaavi shop in our nearest town, thats only been open less than a year.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Too bad, they had very good prices.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

According to a BBC report more high street stores could be going the same way.

My wishes go to all those that are effected, and my anger go towards the politicians and the people who have caused the mess (such as certain capitalists)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Yes but Zavvi's supplier was Entertainment UK owned by Woolworths who folded a few weeks before, so it was the domino effect.

Entertainment UK is a distribution company that suppled many retail companies

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Yes, so one business going bad has led to another :( Too bad I guess, I'm just hoping HMV don't go the same way!

7. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Lets hope none of you people got a gift voucher for zavvi.........there not accepting them!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My heart bleeds. An outmoded business goes under because the management buyout that took place last year was motivated by greed, underpinned by stupidity and followed through with breathtaking arrogance by a bunch of people who didn't know anything like as much as they thought they did about running their business. Zavvi, HMV, Game et al are ALL going this way eventually - the Internet has killed the way they do business stone dead. Why would anyone in their right mind go in and buy a brand new game, DVD or CD from them for 20% more than its costs to get it online? They'll soon be the exclusive preserve of daft tourists who don't know better - and Game will end up as a bargain basement gaff like Computer Exchange.

The only thing that makes me sad about this is the thousands of people who will inevitably lose their jobs as a result. Though, to be honest with you, most of them are rude arrogant pricks who think they're special because they 'work in a music shop'.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hope HMV doesn’t go that way, I always sneak in there for a couple of CDs when I’m shopping with the wife. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Just returned from the so called 'clearout' sale. Load of rubbish, only a handful of items are discounted. Most items are still full price. Lots of SALE posters up and about though.

I was expecting racks and racks of £4 CDs but all I got was my toes trodden on by tribes of moody emo kids muttering 'so where's the f%ck*ng sale then'

Booo, waste of £2 parking.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  11. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

whoops, double post.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

For those not already aware, Chavvi have today shut their 'flagship' Piccadilly Circus store (formerly Tower Records). Purchasers of overpriced 'urban' CDs and X-Factor tat everywhere are weeping...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The store in Carlisle has some PC games for as little as £2.99 like mass effect and 20% of fall out 3.

Far cry was £1.99 :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You will find the discounts are so small because Zavvi have a very small say in the prices on CDs and DVDs and Games. Unlike food stock, TVs and the rest, Electronic goods that Zavvi sells are not selling their own stock so to speak, they are selling the producers goods, so ultimately the producer decides what price should he sell them at.

At the end of it, most of Zavvis stock will go right back to the company that sold it to them, woolworths could reduce prices because the goods it sold, it OWNED.

Zavvi went under because of EUK and because it is a woolworths of the Electronics world, why the hell would I go to Chavvi ? when I can go to a huge HMV 50 yards down ? Zavvi was a bad idea from th start, anyone who competes with HMV had better be practicing a really good business model and have some revolutionary ideas, Zavvi clearly did not because it got eaten alive in the marketplace.

Sorry for the people losing their jobs, but on Xmas and regularly during the year, where were the customers, judging by the difference in Queue lenght, certainly not in Zavvi.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

The particulars of the store closures are listed here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Nearest Zavvi closed down before Christmas & is now Poundland!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  17. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Had a Zavvi closure here- not that I ever went in there :D
    I prefer HMV if they have decent offers, otherwise online.