Yup. England definitely leads in the insanity department

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Dec 20, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This one just blows me away for its blatant stupidity. Yeah, hold the homeowner responsible if some lunatic hurts themselves breaking into your home. Can things get any more insane than this?

This Rugby Advertiser article is found at the following link.

http://www.rugbytoday.co.uk/news/Burglary-victim-told-not-to.3608104.jp

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yeah stuff like this really gets me annoyed.

There was an example of some guys who were breaking into a warehouse and fell through the roof. Rather than the thieves get prosecuted for attempted burglary, the owner of the warehouse got prosecuted for not providing adequate lighting and signage to warn potential criminals that the roof is unsafe! WTF :blink

And one story my sister told me about an old disused mental hospital near where we live. The owners (local primary care trust or whoever) keep the lights on 24 hours a day at a cost of £15,000 a year. Why? In case someone decides to break in at night, they can't sue the trust if they hurt themselves due to inadequate lighting!!

It is absolutely crazy!

The way I see it, if someone pre-meditates committing a crime and knowingly breaks the law, the law shouldn't be there to protect them!

I don't advocate vigilante style deaths for robbing a few sweets from a corner shop, but I think you get what I mean!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

This is not sillier than this:
    More of these on www.2spare.com
    series: 30 Craziest Lawsuits

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. ffreeloader

I'll agree to that. I haven't found a link for it, so don't know if it's "urban legend" or not, but I've seen one story where an 9 year old boy dropped a lit match into a red Corvette's gas tank and his family won a $6 million + lawsuit when he was injured in the explosion because the Corvette was "an overpowering temptation" for boy.

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Awww that's just great, that is.

I shall enjoy reading the responses to that in my local paper. I fall under the misguided jurisdiction of Rugby Borough Council and its nefarious services.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. ffreeloader

My condolences on your misfortune....