Your recommendations for web hosting...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by GmanUK, Sep 24, 2006.

1. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Hi All

Just thought I would try pick some brains on an off forum subject....

I am looking for a good web hosting company for business purposes. I need the servers to be UK based due to search engine optimisation. I am looking for shared hosting to begin with and not a dedicated server....has anyone got any recommendations?

Just to note that I don't want free hosting or hosting provided by an ISP if you sign up with them :biggrin Been there before :blink - I have learnt a long time ago that you DO get what you pay for but only if you do your research!! :biggrin

I have dealt with Easyspace, Rackspace & Hostway through my work and would like to keep it separate to those :tune

Any help will be appreciated!!

G

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Some clients I support use Fasthosts for their web hosting, very reliable and great tech support

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Nice one...Cheers Sparky, will give them a look. :biggrin

4. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep, Fasthosts are great. My (admittedly crap) personal site has been with them for a while now and I've had no downtime in the past nine months at all.

One of the worst for reliability has to be the all-pervasive oneandone. Absolute crap - the site I had hosted was regularly down, their tech support was non-existent and they kept billing me for months after I cancelled.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Stay away from Yahoo web site services too. Sheesh, trying to cancel with them was harder than ridding yourself of athletes foot!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

God I love the honesty of this forum!! Reminds me of being back up north!! :D :D

I have taken a look at Fasthosts and all looks good. It might well be them now :biggrin

Thanks for all your input.

8. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hmmm, not according to Zeb

10. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

I've heard mixed reviews about 1and1. I have only dealt with them once and that was trying to help a new client 'prise' his domain name away from them! It took about 6 weeks for them to give it up! Sadly not a .co.uk domain so not straight forward.

Saying all of that...frankly I don't mind the above if they have good customer service and uptime when I'm with them!! Probably not then!! :blink

11. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Guess I best stay shtoom on this one, as my work has just been named in a not-too-complimentary fashion above !! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Oh you can't leave it like that Jakamoko....lol

I would say you gotta work for Easyspace...due to your geographical area!! But you never know!! If it is then may I say that Easyspace & Rackspace have probably the quickest response time for picking up the support phone than any other hosting company I have ever dealt with!!

The only reason for pointing out at the start of this thread for not going with them was due to me dealing with both companies through my work on a daily basis!! If however I'm wrong and you work for 1and1.....give up those darn domain names quicker!! :tune :clap

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Completely agree with the info from that link.

Thanks Trip. :D

16. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

I'm a Web Developer by profession. If money isnt an object, I recommend Rackspace. They are superb. We (our company) has a co located dedicated server in london and it is terrific. IF you want cheap hosting try Dreamhost. I have alot of my "play hobby" sites on dreamhost, if you use the refferal code 777CODE or MAX4ALL to get some massive savings. You will get something like a years hosting and a domain registration for $20 with that, well worth it (we are talking gigs and gigs of space, and hundreds of gigs of bandwidth).

For my business site http://www.koolbadges.co.uk I use http://www.ukhost4u.com/ who are based in Kircaldy, scotland. They have nice fast servers and great support, but they cost £4 a month.

My Advice would be give dreamhost a try if you want to play http://www.dreamhost.com/, or UKhost4u for serious sites.

Hope it helps, now back to developing this damn backend, grrrrr

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert