Your Passions

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ade1982, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Seriously, we can't be all into revising 24/7/365, so what do you guys do to blow off steam? What's your raison d'etre?

I'm a big stand-up comedy fan. I love going to any comedy gig. I also like to critique comedy (as an armchair football fan would, in that I can find better punchlines / feeder lines, but I am too chicken to actually stand up myself and do it.) My current favourite big names (but not necessarily the best) are Dave Gorman, Paul Merton, Michael McIntyre, Sarah Millican, Dara O'Briain.

I love music too; I am a female singer-songwriter sort of guy, amongst others are Laura Veirs, Thea Gilmore, Beth Orton, KT Tunstall and Sia. My long-term faves are Manic Street Preachers, Cranberries, Fleetwood Mac.

So what are your passions in this world?

2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I like to keep active at the Gym, and playing Cricket and Golf weekly.

I also enjoy lots of different music genres, I am quite the eclectic. I have recently started using Ableton Live and am experimenting in Progressive Trance and enjoying it a great bunch. I also play Guitar.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have to say that one of my passions is now definitely not IT! I have lost all interest in it over recent years and now only do it because my job demands it. (so I suppose there must be some interest there somewhere).

I'm quite into my Gym stuff at the min, pure cardio work tho as I hate doing weights.

To switch off from it all I enjoy nothing more than simply walking with my two dogs. I also have to admit that recently I have developed quite a passion for History and am considering doing a course in it as a complete change of direction from IT.

I also find that alcohol helps.

4. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I like to keep active so i play football twice a week with different groups of guys and go to the gym in between. Im trying to put on some muscle so im doing mostly weights. I go with my flatmate so that definitely helps with the motivation.
    Music is another interest mostly electronic stuff like SBTRKT, Julio Bashmore, Jamie XX, Delphic etc. Since i live in east london theres loads of nights and gigs on all the time.
    One of my favourite ways to relax is to cook. I find it easy to lose yourself in preparing and cooking it. Although since ive got the 70-640 exam tomorrow i might just save the time and get a chicken shish in tonight :tongue

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  5. HJE_Coops

HJE_Coops Bit Poster

I spend a lot of time walking with our lass, the lakes, round derbyshire where i live, north wales, all over the place.

i also love to climb, primarily sport climbing and bouldering and usually go a couple of times a week if i can, would love to get more into traditional stuff but its a bit much for my constitution!lol!

I also have a passion for old renaults, mostly my 1994 1.8 16v clio and using it for track days and santa pod 1/4 mile drag strip. but unfortunately i blew the engine apart end of last season and after dedicating a lot of time recently to exams and training and also house hunting, thats all a bit on the back burner currently. its been reduced to longingly staring at my turbo on the bedroom windowsill!lol!

also like to watch films and listen to live music, pearl jam gig coming up in june.........its going to be epic! :-)

Certifications: 70-680
    WIP: 70-685
  6. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I miss my old 19 16v, loved that car :(

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've got a wife and children so that ties up most of the time that I'm not at work (not that I'd have it any other way mind you). When I do have a bit of spare time I love geocaching, camping, airgunning anything that gets me outside. But I'm not fit in any way shape or form mind you but love being outside doing things

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Beer

Fast cars :)

More beer...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Arroryn likes this.
  9. jamesclimax

jamesclimax Nibble Poster

my kids and my partner are my main 'passion', but following that I'm a DJ (made a decent career of it several years ago, before the kids came along and I needed a 'proper job' - ie, IT!) - I play mainly techno and house. So music is a big passion of mine, mainly electronic / techno / housey stuff, massive Depeche Mode fan, plus Vince Clarke / Yazoo / VCMG, Muse, plus DJs / producers like Sasha, John Digweed, etc. I'm just getting back into producing as well, and i'm currently working on an EP (using Ableton).

Nice to see a few others of you lot with similar interest

I also spend a lot of time in the gym, plus i've got a bicycle, so like to get out on that when I can.

I like a good night out every once in a while (who doesn't) and enjoy a good film.

I'll leave it there as this is now starting to sound like a dating ad...:D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: MCTS 70-659, Oracle, SQL, ITIL
  10. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

As most have said, I love getting to the gym and I do airsoft (like paintballling but with high-powered BB guns) once a month whenever possible.

Massive gamer, I've played competitively in FPS games and organised 600 people 360 LAN events. I'm now trying to get good at SC2 for a few tournaments towards the end of the year. Never played a RTS before so I've defintiely got a learning curve ahead of me.

Finally, I actually like IT. Being still relatively new to the field, I like studying for certs - consider it a 'level up' in life! As geeky as it sounds, the pay increases and so does your knowledge - so for now, I'm keeping up with the grind. 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  11. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Apart from activities with my family (wife & son), eg going to parks, shopping, etc... :)

The martial arts (I do Karate and Tang Soo Do, on a break from kickboxing), movies (action and comedy) and game playing :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. HJE_Coops

HJE_Coops Bit Poster

I've had several clios, mostly 16v and williams,, but always fancied a 19 cabrio 16v for a summertime giggle :-)

thing is I have too much wrapped up in the current 16v clio to warrant another project, 300bhp takes some looking after ;-)

Certifications: 70-680
    WIP: 70-685
  13. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

The kids, wife and computers. Sprinkle in a touch of anything server or virtualisation related, the merest suggestion of certification and a side order of beers, travel and food...... and that's pretty much everything. Oh! Almost forgot! Consoles and games! Where would my stress levels be if it were not for good old COD :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs