Your Beer Gut! A discussion!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by drum_dude, Feb 22, 2005.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hello All!

Jeez, I've really turned into a fat b*stard over the past year and a bit. I quit smoking approx 14 months ago and the pounds have just piled on! When the doctor said I would save pounds by giving up smoking I didn't think he meant pounds of faT!! lol

I purchased a new suit yesterday cos' my old one was just too tight! I remember when the damn thing was hanging off me!!! :x

When I gave up the ciggis I suddenly found that I could drink a hell of a lot more then I could when I smoked (you know the spinning room scenario whilst having a fag after a night out on the pish! I no longer suffer that!). So far I have developed a gut that even Jimmy "Five Bellies" Gardner would be proud of and have twice been beaten up in the town centre - who said giving up smoking was a good thing?? LOL :p !!

So I would like to dedicate this thread to those who suffer from a uncontrollable beer gut! Please discuss theories on how and why it forms AND how to get shot of it!

By the way, I'm on can 4 of my Fosters 6 pack! LOL :biggrin

Cheers y'all

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Easy bud, calm down your drinking and take up smoking again,
    you know you want too lol. Anyway i'm off to have a few drags
    and take a few years of my life, oh, and also support the UK
    health industry a bit, cos as i've now been smoking bout 40
    cigs a day for 25 years, when i do finally get cancer, then i've
    already paid my hospital bill 10 times over in taxes, so do I
    feel guilty? Do I hell - you only live once mate-enjoy it !!! :p

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  3. drum_dude

I had a blast on ciggi last June and nearly spewed...it was like taking it up again etc but this time I wasn't up for it etc. But hey, I ain't having pop at smokers...I quit cos I was getting peed off with going down to the shop everyday to buy 'em and most importantly with the UK govt's insistence on over taxing them!

Yes I agree with you that you do support the UK health service, but I would say A LOT!!! If it weren't for smokers, drinkers and drivers I would never have got my cut price pescription Nicorette patches from the Doc's! My thanks to you all!!! LOL

Cheers

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well I have always had a weight problem, well since my twenties. I am 49 now and have worked hard to keep my weight under control. The only method I have found that actually works for me, is to only eat one meal a day. I only eat dinner, usually quite late, around 8pm. For this meal I can eat what I want, curries, spag boll, garlic bread all yummy stuff. I am now relatively fit, have a 32 inch waist and am slim. If I were to eat as often as I see others eat, I would be as fat as a pig. You need to reduce your food intake as you get older, it is not easy at first but your metabolism gets in sync. I do not get hungry until the evening.

I drink beer, wine and I smoke, so I am not suggesting my diet would work for everyone, but for me it does 8)

The fact that you are concerned about your weight, is a good sign. It does feel so much better being slim than overweight, it is worth addressing, also for the sake of your partner!

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey, I drink, smoke, and attempt to keep you lot in check in this place, and I'm built like a racing snake !

I rest my case [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

For breakfast this morning, I had three shreaded wheat, and a
    few slices of toast before i went to work, whilst at work i had
    large fries, two bacon cheese burgers and a mcflurry, and on the
    way home bought myself a 12" pizza with ham, pineapple and
    extra extra pepparoni on it. I've also drank about 18 cups of
    coffee, had two twix's and two cream eggs.......

And i'm still just on 10 stone in weight........I love it!!!

Some people are naturally "large" and not of their own doing,
    but as long as you feel good, who cares????

As for me, i'm probably very unhealthy, had a few heart scares,
    but, I've got a lovey family who will be well cared for if anything
    happened, and i've had a fantastic 38 years in life. 22 years
    of that with my current partner, who i wouldn't change for
    anything ( well maybe alyssa-milano or katie-holmes with wet
    hair, fresh out of the shower, glissening from.......)

OOps sorry bout that , as i say, who cares what you look like, it what ya
    feel that counts.....

7. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

ROTFLMAO, Attempt, what a lovely word for trying your best lol

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Very descriptive Jak, thanks.

I'm a bit like Callum in that I eat a lot and the whole day through. I eat whatever I want and drink like a fish (what do you expect from an Aussie) and am a trim 65 kg. I must say though that I've lost 10 kg since I moved to Switzerland. It must be all the fresh alpine air. That and kids.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. drum_dude

Bloody hell guys...I'm well over weight! Tell you what, I'll weigh myself tomoz and post the exact figures on this very thread! However, I'm approx 15 and half stone whilst being 6ft tall...

I will report back later!

Sacha!

10. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

I've just checked your pic in your profile DD, I'm not surprised
    your overweight with those big drums stuck to your chest??

:drummer

I would have thought that was an average weigh for someone
    your height and build????

You do realise this thread is now going to open up a whole load of truths from us all eh??

A load of middle aged men moaning and going through mid life
    crisis and starting to cry.

OH MY GOD, Rosy will have a field day here so hold it together
    guys, remember these little women look up to us..lol

:badi

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Well I dont drink, dont smoke, and dont do drugs - never have and likely never will (but im not saying that for definate). i walk virtually everywhere, but dont do any other excercise apart from with my fingers (typing an playing on computers you filthy filthy people).

I've always been blessed with a high metabolism. when i was at school i could easily spend £10 a day on sweets and coke (including a box of ferrero rocher) and eat it all myself. and i was as thin as a rake!!!

Nowadays i think that my metabolism is beginning to slow down a little, im not fat, but im not as skinny as i was before.

To be honest i think the best course of action would be to quit drinking too. but thats not for everyone. one of the important things to remember is that smoking suppresses the appetite. when you stop smoking your appetite is going to skyrocket, so you need to force yourself not to eat your fill at every opportunity. another important thing is to stop eating when you are full! not when you are stuffed (save that for xmas).

a good way to do that is to portion out smaller platefuls. if you are still hungry when you finish you can always go get more, but if you fill a plate to the brim then you are going to feel (at least a little) obliged to eat it all! if you feel bloated, you've eaten too much!!!!!

another point to remember is that, because smoking suppresses your appetite, you have likely been eating too little, pretty much starving yourself, if even just a little. when you do that, your metabolism slows down more and more, so that when your appetite rockets, and you eat more and more, your body automatically stores it all as fat. after all, it thinks that you are going to go back to the way you were before after a bit. it takes a while for your body to realise that thats not the case. so you REALLY need to ensure that you are controlling what you eat.

I'm virtually 100% sure that what ive just said is right, but as ever, if you want to give up smoking for real, then discuss these things with a doctor - they are in a better position to give advice and help!!!!!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Oh, the truth hurts.:bigcry

Now I have to decide between a Porsche and an Audi TT cabriolet to help me through this. Oh the choices.:disguise

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I refuse to comment on this thread :speechles

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, don't worry, we'll just have to talk about you then lol