Your advice on MCPD

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by sandeepb, May 23, 2012.

1. sandeepb

sandeepb New Member

Hi everyone

I've recently come to the conclusion that I want to take on the Microsoft Certs and become a MCPD.

My Background; 2:1 Bsc Software Engineering Graduate, I have used Silverlight and coded with C# .NET for my final year project.
    On top of that I have spent the last 2 years developing an application which consists as a Shutdown Timer, my own updater utility and also a license management system involving different cryptography algorithms. So I do have some experience with C#

I was thinking to take on the MCPD Windows Developer 4 on Visual Studio 2010
    Passing the exams:
    - MCTS prerequisite: TS: Windows Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Exam 70-511
    - MCTS prerequisite: TS: Windows Communication Foundation Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Exam 70-513
    - MCTS prerequisite: TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Exam 70-516
    - MCPD requirement: PRO: Designing and Developing Windows Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Exam 70-518

to my knowledge, they are the only exams I need to take to become an MCPD, does anyone think this should be the right route for me to go as I am looking for Software Development job (with C#) as my career path.

Thanks

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Sounds like you have it all sorted, yes its 4 exams on the .NET 4 track.

3. sandeepb

sandeepb New Member

Thanks

Just a couple more questions

1. Would it be more beneficial for me to do the VS2008 cert and then an upgrade path to 2010

2. Are there any books etc that will help me that anyone. An recommend? I know there are a couple (blue and black books) on amazon but reading reviews shows that they didn't really help much. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd take the VS2010 track, I see no real benefit to taking old tracks at this point.

I generally find the MS Press Training guides ok, they are not perfect but generally do the trick.