Yet more advice from experienced individuals please!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jellyman_4eva, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

Last Thursday I finally got my MCSE 2k3!

Now I am looking around for a new job, basically I am in 2nd Line at the moment and am looking to progress further...

I am not going to get the opportunity where I am to use the things I have learnt for my MCSE (They have a young team who have been around for a while and are unlikely to make way for me)...

That said, I do help them and am not completely new to server based tasks... I am looking to use my MCSE to get through the door somewhere and pickup some more real-life experience.. but how do I go about this, and putting it across in a CV!

I like to study, as my certs show but like lots of other people here it is easy to get caught in the catch 22 of jobs looking for experience and certification, but how do you get a job which gives you the experience? I have the certification, which I know is not the be all and end all but I now I need the job!!

Just wanted some opinions of how to progress!! Thanks!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the MCSE mate. :biggrin

I guess you will have to apply for other jobs if there are no promotion opportunities at your current place of work. Your CV should read quite well, experience and the MCSE so its all good!

Perhaps go for a network admin job?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When I was a systems admin, the network admin allowed me to assist him with the administration of the network. If you could get a position like that, it'd be ideal.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and congratulations on attaining the MCSE 2k3, I think it would be a good time now to start sending your CV out to IT recruitment agencies. You'd be amazed how much response you'd get with your level of experiene and qualification. See job web sites below:

Jobsite.co.uk
    totaljobs.co.uk
    planet recruit.co.uk

All three above are great IT jobs sites. Best wishes and let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the links onoski, never heard of the last one, just registered with them 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009