Yet another newbie needing some advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Nomad, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Just like to say a big hello to everyone and was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback. Looking at getting into networking and pretty close to signing up with a company called skillstrain (they use Scheidegger training)
    The course will give me A+, N+ and CCNA and the cost is £2500 (interest free at £70 over 35 months) Is this a good way to go or am i being completely ripped off? All input would be appreciated.
    Cheers in advance.

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Nomad and welcome to the forum. I know nothing about the training provider you mention but I would recommend getting an A+ book or two and getting through it on your own. Then you can see how it goes and maybe have a better picture if you want to do the course.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Nomad, and firstly a warm welcome to CF :)

The prices you quote seem OK, as long as the materials are up to scratch, ie relevant, up to date books, etc. But as Nugget says, you may want to dip your toes in on your own first with the A+ to see how you get on - there will always be other options to add more certs later, once you see how you are suited to studying for them.

Sorry I can't offer much more advice at the mo - check out the Training & Development Forum and th relevant Forums for each cert to get some more info from other Members' experiences.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Thanks for that nugget. Having trawled the forums for the last hour, i'm starting to think that this course isn't all it's being made out to be. I was led to believe (by the "advisor") that i would gain the actual qualifications at the end, but after reading about the experiences of other members, it looks like i'll just end up with a certificate to say i've passed the course.
    I'm becoming more skeptical about all this by the minute and the self teaching route with A+ and then perhaps N+ is beginning to look more attractive.
    Anybody else have any views on this?

5. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Jak. Definately gonna put the whole Scheidegger thing on hold for the moment. Self study on A+ looks the most attractive proposition at the moment i think. Been building, maintaining and troubleshooting my own machines for 5 years (even used to have "pit-stop" style competitions with a friend of mine against the clock to see who could build a machine and power it up in the shortest time LOL!) So i think that going down the A+ route on my own could be the best approach at the moment to see how i get on with it.
    Really glad i found CF, yet another "nerd" forum to monopolise my time :p

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Nomad and welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Nomad. I remember you well. :tongue

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+