Yes, finally got the job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by GJimbo, Oct 5, 2007.

1. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted on the forums.

I've been self-studying CompTIA A+ aiming towards an MSCE/CCNA in the future.

Anyway, some great news is that I've finally be taken on as 2nd Line Support. My question is, at what level is 2nd Line Support - i.e. is it entry level work? I know I will be installing/diagnosing machines and providing technical support, but I'm unsure where this could lead :lol:

Ultimately, I would like to work towards network administration/hardware engineering, hence the MSCE/CCNA. The plan is to gain enough experience and certification by the time I'm 30 to emmigrate to Canada (Ican speak French, which helps) I'm 20, so have a fair while to go yet.

Another question is, I prefer not to drive, but how important is driving within a role such as 2nd Line Support and Network Administration?

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If you were put on a rota for call outs, how long would it take you to get from home to work if you didn't drive?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

15-20 mins on the train. We support the whole company with branches - though I doubt we get any call outs to the branches.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Entry-level folks usually work 1st line support. 2nd line typically handles what 1st line cannot (and 3rd line typically handles what 2nd line cannot). Congrats on the 2nd line job!

You might want to pursue the MCSE instead... it's much more in demand than the MSCE. ;)

Depends on the company. Some IT jobs absolutely require it. Some IT jobs can be performed entirely from a central location, with little-to-no travel required. If this is something that is important to you, why didn't you ask this question during the interview, or before you had taken the job? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Okay, wild hypothesis here, what happens if you get called out sometime after midnight? No trains run then. Just because the branches are closed the network can still go wrong in the middle of the night.

Something to consider 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

Thanks, BosonMichael.

Sorry, yes, the MCSE :oops:

I did mention in the interview if I need to drive and they said not particularly; however, company vehicles are available to share between the IT department. I was just wondering how important it might be to travel for a 2nd Line Support person i.e. do they typically have to go off site to see clients, or do they normally work from Head Office?

For someone who is wanting to eventually end up in networking, is there other courses/certs I should be aware of?

7. BosonMichael

Some tech positions require travel... some tech positions don't. I've been in each of those; only difference was the company I worked for.

After the A+, I'd recommend the Network+ and the MCDST. After you've built a little experience, I'd recommend starting your MCSA (which will start you towards your MCSE), and when you start getting Cisco experience, get your CCNA. All that should keep you busy for years. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the job GJimbo.

I would have to agree with BM in regards to experience and earning certs. As for whether or not you need a car for work, also as mentioned above, you could ask your employer that. I am sure that in certain scenarios having a car might be very usefull. I work as a junior system admin and at times I need a car to go from one office to the other. You also say that the company has a few cars, so maybe all you need is a license.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. GJimbo

GJimbo Bit Poster

What do you think is the likelyhood of being sent out 30+ miles to a branch as a trainee 2nd line support techy?

10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hard to say, as each company/position will vary. If they've give you the job, then I woundn't worry about it. If it was important to be able to drive, they would have mentioned this in the interview!

Congrats on the job thou, really good start. :p

Btw, learn to drive anyway! It may help you in the future when your looking to move on from this employment.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. BosonMichael

At my last job, we sent 1st line support techs out 60+ miles their first week on the job. So it can't be ruled out just because you're a trainee or a 2nd line tech... but it's not a certainty, either.