yahoo mail sigh!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by ant2005uk, Jan 31, 2005.

1. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Over the past week I have been having problems logging in to yahoo mail, sometimes it lets me in other times it dont. Basicalley I get an error 999 message if that means anything? I can login to any account fine using my work pc but not from home why? The only way I can check my email is via logging into yahoo messenger and even that doesnt work properley all the time! Any help or advice on this query would be much appreciated.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I don't know if this will be of much help, Ant, but shortly before finishing my last job, we had an identical situation with a user who could access his Yahoo webmail on one ISP's connection but not on another.

This baffled us for several days (and sorry,m8 - I never did find out the answer). I could understand if it was just pop3 and smtp mail that was having the problem, but on webmail as well - it doesn't make sense. Have you contacted Yahoo directly about this ?

All I can tell you is that I don't think you are alone in this...:blink

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Trying to find an answer. So far all I've been able to find out is that you are not alone, nor is this a recent event:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum35/2401.htm

I don't know if this is related, but MS has a list of standard error codes which includes 999:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...s/debug/base/system_error_codes__500-999_.asp

Here's some more forum talk on the matter including a possible (but not confirmed) answer:

http://www.all-nettools.com/forum/showthread.php?styleid=8&s=&threadid=1285

Found something else on another forum. I guess a lot of people end up with this error:

Actually, someone was told what the problem was and ignored it.

IE, Firefox, Mozilla handle cookies differently. New computers like to come with automatic updates enabled by default. Security updates can and often do override the user's settings on everything from their web browser to their email.

Again, look at your internet security settings and (in particular) the cookie settings. All forums work on cookies. If your browser is set to delete cookies, or your security is set at "High", depending on your browser version, it would zap your cookie whenever the page dynamically updates, like when you start the editor to post a message. If you're using Internet Explorer, check the "Privacy" tab, "Advanced" button under "Internet Options". The settings should be First Party Cookies (accept), Third Party Cookies (accept).

Also check to see if your computer has the internet firewall installed (XP Windows) or any firewall or popup killer software installed. If it has either one (or both) you might have to find out how to put the board address in your firewall or blocker software to bypass the filters.

Best I can do thus far.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Well Jakamoko and Tripwire many thanks for the advice, I now have the problem sorted though I think :biggrin Apparantley if I log into the uk yahoo site then it works fine. Didnt try this before. Thanks for your suggestions though.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ah. You were trying to log onto the generic Yahoo domain rather than the yahoo.co.uk domain.

Certifications: A+ and Network+